x

Square to Xero integration seems useless

We are using Square for retail plus and Square Invoices and are trying to integrate it with Xero. Not sure if we are doing it incorrectly but the integration seems to be very lacking. The Invoices we create in square are not appearing in Xero, The customers we create in Square are not appearing in Xero. Square only sends one transaction to Xero each day for the total amount of payments taken using a Square reader but ignores any Cash, cheque or bank transfer transactions. We are using Purchase orders in square to order and receive our stock items but these don't get transferred over to Xero and there is no way in Square of recording a bill payment against these Purchase orders. If we add an new Vendor in Square they do not get transferred over to Xero.

Are any of these integrations possible or is the integration purely based on square as a payment platform and totally ignoring the POS and invoice apps?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @simonp,

For help with the Xero and Square integration, you’ll need to create a case with Amaka Support, who built out the integration between Square and Xero. While I've not used the Xero integration before, from what I understand, cash and other tender transactions should also be synced across. The Amaka Support team would be able to help you set the integration up, and let you know more about what can be synced between the two platforms. 

I'm sorry I wasn't able to be of more help here, please let us know how you go!

Message 2 of 9

Thanks Arie, I contacted Amaka Support and they confirmed that Square only syncs a single Lump sum payment for each days transactions. This is great for people using Square as a payment system and doing all their transactions in their Accounting system but is completely useless for those of us who are using Square POS and Online to sell our goods as we have to enter the information twice. I hope your development team can implement full bidirectional sync with accounting software soon to make the back end of the POS/Invoices as easy as the front end

Message 3 of 9

I see what you mean, and I'll pass your suggestion on to our integration and partnerships team, @simonp

Message 4 of 9
Beta Member

Same exact situation here @simonp, I was hoping for a solution. It's taking a long time to manually reconcile everything.

Message 5 of 9

Square to Xero Integration is in fact not only useless, but it actually creates more work than crappy old MYOB or Quickbooks!

Because Square returns the total of an invoice, minus the surcharge, NO TRANSACTIONS FROM XERO TO SQUARE CAN RECONCILE. 😩😰😤

There are two very simple solutions to this problem for Squareup if they would only listen to their customers:

1. Add an option to ADD THE SURCHARGE automatically to online and EFTPOS payments so that the amount returned to Xero can be reconciled without EDITING EVERY SINGLE XERO TRANSACTION.
  2. Add an option to CHARGE THE SURCHARGE SEPARATE to each transaction so that the surcharges can be automatically put down to operational fees.
  3. Add an option to CHARGE THE SURCHARGE AT CLOSING as a lump sum so that, once again, WE DON'T HAVE TO EDIT EVERY SINGLE XERO INVOICE OR TRANSACTION and the surcharge can be automatically identified as an operational cost and the INVOICE AMOUNTS MATCH FOR RECONCILIATION.
Message 6 of 9

Hi @splurben,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to our Seller community! 

I understand your frustration with the integration, and limitations around surcharges. Surcharges are something we're working on at the moment, and we appreciate you adding your suggestions on how we can improve here. We'll let you know about updates to surcharges as soon as we have news to share. 

Message 7 of 9

its been almost 12mnths and you still havn't address this issue we have only just found out after 12 weeks in new shop that it is only a lump sum which makes square uless for any retail front that need to track items like me with over 70000 different items thanks for making a small business do triple work and cost us 1000s of dollars to fix the problem u have caused us

Message 8 of 9

You can use the tool Skyvia for correctly integration between Square and Xero.

ETL-app which allows you to integrate data without programming

https://skyvia.com/data-integration/integrate-xero-square 

Message 9 of 9