x

Using Square for Consignment Sales

I'd like to be able to track sales by vendor for a consignment shop.  Has anyone used Square to do this?  Maybe create a category which is a specific vendor?  

Any suggestions on how anyone has done it will be a big help.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 126
1 Best Answer

Best Answer
Hi VBBGallery, I own a consignment shop and use square...though I use a consignment software that tracks what purchases sell for each vendor and use square as my POS service. You could make each vendor a category listing on square but I think you'll find it becomes hard to track each item and very labor intensive...hence I would search out consignment software to help with the inventory aspect

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 126
125 REPLIES 125
Beta Member

@FiringTime, without consignment software, you will have to manually track consignment sales in Square. People have some workarounds that are only half measures, like assigning categories as vendors/consignors. That only gets you part way there. You'd still need to create sales invoices, calculate payout based on % split, etc. If you are interested in an integrated solution reach out to us as we are the only consignment software built with Square. 

https://www.consignorconnect.com

Thanks,

Mike

Message 22 of 126
Beta Member

I use Square to capture both Vendor and consignment sales. I do it like this

I have a category for each Vendor and Consignor

Each consignor is created as an item with a 4 digit code identifier

then, under each item I use the prices, sizes or skus to create individual items or item categories.

When I run the end of month report it sorts the items by category and the details follow.

Message 23 of 126

@timestincup 

I read your post and I'm curious what report you run?  I too track sales for our consigners but I find myself having to sort all of the transactions at the end of the month to get their reports together.  It's very time consuming and labor intensive.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 24 of 126
Beta Member

@3031cloverville 

@timestincup actually uses our software now to track consignment. Our consignment software integrates with Square's point of sale and automatically generates the reports you need to payout consignors/vendors. Let me know if you are interested in trying us out! We have a 30-Day Free Trial. 

https://www.consignorconnect.com

Thanks,

Mike

Message 25 of 126
Beta Member

Time’s Tin Cup Vintage is a multi-channel business offering consignment, wholesale gift items, online sales through our Etsy shop and rented vendor space. Consignor Connect finally has created a system that integrates with Square POS that allows me to keep track (with very little effort) of all my tracking, reporting and payout needs. LOVE IT!

Message 26 of 126

I see that your company "Rose" only has 4 reviews.  Not sure if I'm ready for a new company and it's possible growing pains.  I was hoping that square would have stepped up and resolved this reporting issue by now.  I have been asking them for this change for several years now.  Disapointing to say the least.

Message 27 of 126
Beta Member

Sure thing @3031cloverville understood. We will be here when you decide that you need automated consignment reporting. Hopefully, Square will give you what you need but I'm not aware of any point of sale company that provides consignment reporting. To get that you generally have to purchase consignment software that includes a built-in point of sale. Take care.

Message 28 of 126
Super Seller

We use the catagories as vendor names/codes. Even though I might selll bananas from 3 different vendors (all on consignment) I can pull it apart in the reporting... 

Our backend spreadhsheets pull apart this data and turns it into individual invoices for each consignment vendor. We have to have a master price list, which gets referenced in some crazy formulas to generate a total of each vendor's sales for a spesfied date range. 

Message 29 of 126

I know it's been a bit since you posted your question, but just curious..have you figured out the best way to do it?

My store inventory is consigned by artisans, so I wonder the same thing. What I do in order for my end of month print out to be easy to just run through and do my figures to know who gets paid what, is omit categories. When I "create item" I use the artisan's name, and then under that I list all the products they consign. It's working well for me EXCEPT for now that i'm trying to launch the online store that Square offers, I can't easily select "sell item online" because of adding the things in inventory this way. I really hope for a future update to accomodate consignment, so that this would be a little easier for us, but this works I guess in the meantime. Hope I explained that well enough...  🙂

Message 30 of 126

I know there have been a couple threads about retail stores and consignment, but I'm curious if any of the makers who sell to the retail stores have any way to record consignment sales in Square?  I have a few stores that I work with that are consignment and not prepay or terms.

Thanks!

Message 31 of 126
Square

@sundaydrive - Please check out this thread for the answer to your question. Also, feel free to tag other community members by placing an "@" before their username if you have a question for someone specifically. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 32 of 126

@Sean am I missed my something? What thread?

Message 33 of 126

@sundaydrive The number at the bottom of the page indicates`how many pages are in the thread. You can click on the number to browse through the comments. I know it can be a little confusing when your post is at the top of the page. 

Feel free to reply back if you have any other questions! 😀

Message 34 of 126

Thanks @chad I have seen all those threads and they don't really answer my question. 

Those all all seem to be retail stores tracking their consignment payments/sales.  I am a maker that sells to those stores.  So my accounting for that is different than theirs would be.

Message 35 of 126

Rose is a cloud based sytem and it communicates with square.

Message 36 of 126

I run a small shop of locally produced products and we work similar to an antique mall with vendors.  Is there any way to use Square register and print reports for monthly sales per vendor?

Message 37 of 126
Square

Hi @artisans, welcome! 

I moved your question to another thread on this topic; check out some of the responses on the first page. 

There was also a great post from @alexandriak about using Square for their consignment shop, so be sure to check that out as well. Hope that helps!

Message 38 of 126

Hello,

Can you tell me if I can enter my inventory and print out stickers or labels for each vendor.

Thank you!

Message 39 of 126
Square

Hi @deepa1933, I moved your post to an existing thread on this topic, hope some of the info here is helpful!

Message 40 of 126

Hello  I have a retail and consignment shop.  I use Square solely for both.  I assigned each Consignor a catagory  and each item a sku.  so for example....Jane Doe's bar of Maple Sugar Soap would be under the catagory Jane Doe and the SKU JDE 123.  Each item was put in seperately.  

At the end of the month, I print the item sales by catagory and each consignor sees what items they sold.  Only issue with this is it shows what you sold it for not what they are getting, so you have to do the math.

Message 41 of 126

How can I track sale per vendor?  Retail shop with multiple vendors (consigment type).  I set up each vendor as a "category" but their items will constantly change.   I don't want to assign "items" within category.  

Will I be able to assign the category at point of sale?  So I can keep track of each vendor's sales?

Message 42 of 126