x

Will the ZD420 Zebra printer work for label printing?

Im having an incredibly hard time finding the ZD410 printer with wifi to use for our label printing. I am able to find the ZD420 with wifi printer. Does anyone know if this printer will work to print labels for square?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I have 4 Zebra 420 printers, I might be able to try this for you over the weekend or next week.  I currently use 2 420D (Direct Thermal) printers for my Barcodes BUT I do not use Square to send the SKU to the printer.  I create a SKU and use the printer software to create the Barcode.  Tell the printer to print X quantity of barcodes and then save the barcode to a file to print again if needed.   I make our own candles so this is great for my production purposes.  Once I make a barcode, I print 1 and test it with my scanner and square, usually I get error Item not found.  This is because my SKU was not assigned to an item but it shows what my SKU is.  I found out that if I hit <enter> after typing the SKU in the printer barcode maker it adds extra characters also, this is why I test 1 barcode before printing say 50 of them.   Once it works, I save it as the name of the item, then when I make the item I can just print that barcode for the quantity I made and enter the quantity as received in Square. The other thing I found out is if you use a Zebra DS 2208-SR or Zebra DS 6878-SR scanner you can use the zebra printer software to create 2D Barcodes that can be used in Square.  The plus side of this all your barcodes will be roughly the same size.  I found these Scanners can read a 3/8" square Aztec barcode reliably or about a 1/2" QR code reliably.  Both these can be made easily with the Zebra 420D software..... now again you will need a computer running the software and it will not be directly through Square.  Plus both these scanners read normal 1 D barcodes.   Hope this helps

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

This is the article you're looking for, as it lists the barcode label printer compatible with the Square Retail software. 

@OldTownSoap

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 10
Super Seller

Best Answer

I have 4 Zebra 420 printers, I might be able to try this for you over the weekend or next week.  I currently use 2 420D (Direct Thermal) printers for my Barcodes BUT I do not use Square to send the SKU to the printer.  I create a SKU and use the printer software to create the Barcode.  Tell the printer to print X quantity of barcodes and then save the barcode to a file to print again if needed.   I make our own candles so this is great for my production purposes.  Once I make a barcode, I print 1 and test it with my scanner and square, usually I get error Item not found.  This is because my SKU was not assigned to an item but it shows what my SKU is.  I found out that if I hit <enter> after typing the SKU in the printer barcode maker it adds extra characters also, this is why I test 1 barcode before printing say 50 of them.   Once it works, I save it as the name of the item, then when I make the item I can just print that barcode for the quantity I made and enter the quantity as received in Square. The other thing I found out is if you use a Zebra DS 2208-SR or Zebra DS 6878-SR scanner you can use the zebra printer software to create 2D Barcodes that can be used in Square.  The plus side of this all your barcodes will be roughly the same size.  I found these Scanners can read a 3/8" square Aztec barcode reliably or about a 1/2" QR code reliably.  Both these can be made easily with the Zebra 420D software..... now again you will need a computer running the software and it will not be directly through Square.  Plus both these scanners read normal 1 D barcodes.   Hope this helps

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 3 of 10

Thank you so much for this information. We decided to go with what was recommended and I was finally able to track one of the ZD410 printers down. I create qr codes with our skus and imbed them in our labels for the items we car in our stores. Our struggle is with the items we have in vendor locations where the vendor store scans the items. Hopefully, we'll get this one working. Like you, we only print one to verify they scan correctly before printing our labels for production. Again thank you for your help! Oh and I was never able to find the one with wifi. I had to go with the usb version.

Message 4 of 10
Super Seller

Since your problem is with vendors being able to scan your items and not you.  This could be because they have a 1D scanner not a 2D scanner since you make QR codes.  Or if you are like me I use text and numbers in my Aztec 2D barcodes which their software may limit to only numbers possibly.   Kinda like Square changes all letters from Capitals to lower cases and does not read symbols like & correctly.   I found out Squares software reads & as 7.  Hope you find a solution.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 5 of 10

Do you happen to know specifically which version of the ZD410 you purchased?  It seems like the base model that I was looking at (ZD41022-D01000EZ -or- ZD41022-D01M00EZ) only prints at 203 dpi rather than 300 dpi and I wasn't sure if that was an issue with Square and scanning.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 10
Super Seller

I have a cheap thermal printer for my packages I ship out and it is only rated at 203 dpi, and my scanners for Square reads it with no problem.  You may have to figure out the size of the barcode and label you need read by Square and if the labels you purchase will be able to have a readable barcode on them.  Usually the limits are based on the scanners ability to read barcodes, meaning the size and closeness of the bars etc.  With my printers I am able to scale the barcodes up or down from .005 mils to ??? .035 mils is the most I have tried since over that I am off my labels physical size.   My scanner with Square can read my barcodes at .010 mils but those are printed on a Zebra 420D.  The barcodes from my Mailing labels reads on Square but since the mailing barcode is not in the system it shows as Do you want to add (tracking number) as a new item in Square, where the tracking number would be a SKU.  The smaller I print a barcode the closer the scanner has to be to it.  So in short a 203DPI label printer should be able to print scannable barcodes, you just may need to figure out the font size that reads with your scanner and label printer.  Also determine if your using 1D or 2D barcodes and a compatible scanner. 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 7 of 10

Thank you! 🙂

Message 8 of 10
Super Seller

After more research I found out my 420D is also only a 230dpi direct thermal printer and that is what I use for my barcodes.  Again I do not have Square printing them out but use the printers software.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 9 of 10
Super Seller

I went to test my 420D printer using Square for Retail and I am un able to print barcodes from Square since I do not have Square for Retail PLUS.   Sorry

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 10 of 10