x

online store different tax rules setup

I have different tax rules based on the various products I am selling. I was told by a weebly support person that their platform cannot handle such rules. Has anyone else set-up specific tax rules by product on the online platform? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

We are a craft brewery selling to-go cans online and need a way to capture the required state taxes, which are different from the automatic taxes that the online store allows you to set-up.  How do we capture all of the required and different taxes?

Message 2 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Rockcreek Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community! I have merged your post to the thread you commented in last in looking for an answer, but also wanted to get a little more detail on what exactly you were looking for in regards to different taxes? We may be able to offer a workaround for you. 

Can you provide a specific example of what this would look like for you since it's different than automatic taxes?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 15

My online sales is for guests physically being at my green space. I pay retail sales tax monthly. (I don't make $20,000...yet... and I don't ship anything). At this time Weebly only lets me enter tax collection for my state, cutting into my income to pay the county tax portion, which isn't very much but it's still a ding to my income.

I need my online store to collect taxes for state and county.

If Weebly could edit their tax area to include a space for the retailer who doesn't ship anything...to enter their total tax rate or add their city/zip code to the state portion it would solve this issue.

Message 4 of 15

Hey @janeg5,

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over trying to have multiple taxes with the Online Store.

It's a feature request we're tracking at this time. 

Ashley C
Message 5 of 15

I only have one zip code that I would like to collect taxes on. Weebly only allows collection of state taxes based on my zip code. I want to add collection for my county tax as well. 

Message 6 of 15

I see there are multiple posts having slightly different needs to collect different sales tax. I would suggest Square and Weebly add a few customizable boxes for additional tax collection needs. For my predicament a line that would accept a 9 digit zip code might do the trick.

Message 7 of 15

We are in the same boat - and it is critical for alcohol sales to capture the appropriate taxes.  Did you find an option to support what you needed?

Message 8 of 15

Yes - I went to Shopify. 

Message 9 of 15

Thanks for stepping back in here and sharing what solution you reached, @stephdale. For visibility sake, I am flagging this over to our Weebly Product Managers as a Feature Request. Should any news in regards to this come down the pipeline, we will bounce back here and let everyone know.

Thanks, again! 

Joe
Message 10 of 15

This is a significant problem for anyone in a jurisdiction that is charged with taxes on items that are categorized by something other than zip code.  Moving to another platform is not something that I look forward to - so solving this ASAP would be incredibly advantageous for Square.  As I'm sure that others are considering this as I write this.

Bruce
Message 11 of 15

Yes, I am concerned I will have to change away from the square/weebly online store. I have 3 different county taxes based on the item. Retail, Prepared foods, and alcohol. We have transitioned now to all online sales so if these can't be accommodated, I will have to switch platforms. I can't believe this isn't more of an issue with all other sellers. I need help asap please.

Message 12 of 15

I have a scenario where one of my locations needs to charge tax for items when the customer is "dining in", however when those same items are purchased "to go", then no tax is applied. This set up works fine on my in store POS, however, for the Online store, the system is charging taxes for these same items and it should not be since they are "to go" or curbside pick up. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Message 13 of 15

Hi @Stokedman Welcome back! 😊

You should be able to set this up using the Itemized Tax settings. 

You can use the itemized tax rates in your online Square Dashboard for pickup and delivery orders. Shipping orders will still use the tax rates set in the Square Online Overview page settings. To turn on itemized taxes for pickup and deliver orders:

1. Open the Square Online Overview page.

2. Select Settings > Taxes

3. Under Tax rates & calculations, toggle on the itemized taxes options you want to use.

4. Use the Go To Item Taxes button to view further details about itemized taxes in the online Square Dashboard.

Customers who received an itemized rate rate on a delivery or pickup order can view a calculation of their taxes during checkout, displayed by tax name. If a customer selects pickup or delivery for an item that does not have an itemized tax rate, no tax will be applied to the purchase. Tax exempt items in Square only apply to Square Online pickup or delivery orders, shipped orders will use the tax rates set in the Square Online Overview page settings.

Message 14 of 15

Hello @BernadetteA 

Thanks for the reply. The other variable that I forgot to mention, is that I have 2 locations that share the same online items. The one location should have tax included on all items for curbside pickup and the other location should not. They are in two different states, with different tax rules. It seems that Square needs to add an option to have location specific tax rules when they share the same online items.

Message 15 of 15