x
Beta Member

problems importing and exporting items / products with excel

Something so straight forward has caused me huge issues, 1st import after bulk adding cost prices to items and when imported back in any sku that starts with a zero had the 0 removed so nothing was scanning, roughly 1500 products out of 5500 ish.

Rang square and i was told to manually go into every product and add the missing zero (not ideal)

after spending lots of hours sorting out that issue, ive now run into a new issue and im hoping other people have had the same.

Now after editing items in CSV file, when I import them back the columns are all out of sync i.e in tokens the preview is items, and the same for other ones yet I've not moved or changed anything other than simply adding cost prices and vendors to items.

Really need help as i was hoping to get all items cost price added within a few hours a day, and its cost me 2 whole days just to rectify the issues of the 1st import.

t.i.a

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Sorry to hear you're running into this @CM2Balloons!

It's possible that the columns shifted due to the cost price and vendor being added. When importing items, we always recommend exporting the existing library first to make sure you have the correct format, before editing the sheet and import the items back in again.

If you haven't already, it's worth running through the troubleshooting steps outlined here as they usually help with any importing issue. Please also make sure to remove any comms from text you've added in the import file, as that can caused errors during the process.

When uploading the file, if there's any discrepancy, you should get a screen asking you to match the column name to the appropriate field.

If you've ran through everything and are still getting the same error, it's best to contact our Support team directly as that way, they can look into the account-specific settings and also help check the import file to troubleshoot further. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

I added cost price directly to the exported items file from square, done everything as it said regarding not opening it directly and importing CSV from a new project in excel and setting SKU to text (as I was having a problem with 1st zero going missing)

paid ยฃ50 for a month to upgrade and tbh its caused me more work and headache which wasn't the idea.

The categories didn't match up when importing the file so I cancelled it, 

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Was it only the categories column that didn't match up @CM2Balloons? Did you get a screen that ask you to match the column to the field at all?

I do think in this case, it's best to contact our Support team directly so they can check the account-specific settings and that way, you can also send them the file you're working with which will help the team investigate further. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 4