x

A credit card that I charged last week successfully was not accepted today.  Why?

A credit card that I charged last week successfully was not accepted today.  Why?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

I'm new to SU. My returning customer's credit card was declined. Where is customer service?

-Not happy

Message 2 of 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Paul1952 - so sorry to hear about the trouble. This, of course, is not the experience we would want for you right off the bat. But we are here to help! 

I see that you made a similar post on a separate thread. Just a quick note -  I went ahead and merged them together here to ensure you won't receive two replies from our Team.

I apologize for the confusion here concerning your customers card being declined. Declines from purchases with Square can be a result of multiple different factors. For example, the decline could be in reference to insufficient funds, a maximum or minimum required amount, or even a general security decline from your card-issuing bank (the most common occurring reasoning we see, due to the bank not recognizing a charge from your business).

The only way to confirm what reason a transaction was declined would be for the customer to reach out to their card-issuing bank for more information. In cases of general security declines, the bank can approve a transaction once it is confirmed by the buyer. As a best practice, you may want to have your customer reach out to their bank for more insight. 

I hope this information is helpful! Going forward, you can contact our Support Team here. They should be able to assist with any inquiries going forward.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 3