x

A receipt was received by the wrong person, an email I have never used?

A receipt was received by the wrong person, an email I have never used?

Message 1 of 16
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

@Cordelia - While I'm waiting to hear back from you, I wanted to try and give you my best estimation here. 

It sounds like someone may have received another person's receipt by mistake. When a payment is completed using Square, customers can receive an email or text message receipt. If an email address or phone number is entered incorrectly (or if a merchant enters their own), the receipt may be sent to the wrong recipient. This receipt doesn’t mean that a card was charged. It just means that email address or phone number was entered for receipt delivery for that particular card.

If you click the link on the bottom of the receipt that says "Not your receipt?". This will unlink the email address or phone number from the payment card so receipts meant for someone else won't continue to go to that email address or phone number.

Once unlinked, the cardholder will be prompted to enter their correct email address or phone number during their next transaction.

Hopefully this hits the mark. If not, please let me know! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 16
Admin

Best Answer

Oh no, I'm really sorry for this experience! Square's Automatic Receipts feature will tie an email address to a specific payment card. I can't see your receipt history from here - but if you or your husband were out with your mother it is possible that her email address became tied to your card at the end of a sale.  I've just asked our CS team to email you - they'll need the details of this payment to be able to investigate exactly how your information was mixed up.

In the meantime your mother can tap 'Not Your Receipt' at the end of the receipt to unlink her email address from the card in question (or our team can do this for her). 

Apologies again! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Hard to tell without more details but it sounds very much like it is a hack. Do not answer that email.

Message 2 of 16
Square

Hey @Cordelia - sorry to hear about the issue here! With a few more details, I'm sure that I can help sort this out.  Just to make sure I understand the scenario, a receipt you sent from a recent sale was automatically sent to the wrong customer? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 16
Square

Best Answer

@Cordelia - While I'm waiting to hear back from you, I wanted to try and give you my best estimation here. 

It sounds like someone may have received another person's receipt by mistake. When a payment is completed using Square, customers can receive an email or text message receipt. If an email address or phone number is entered incorrectly (or if a merchant enters their own), the receipt may be sent to the wrong recipient. This receipt doesn’t mean that a card was charged. It just means that email address or phone number was entered for receipt delivery for that particular card.

If you click the link on the bottom of the receipt that says "Not your receipt?". This will unlink the email address or phone number from the payment card so receipts meant for someone else won't continue to go to that email address or phone number.

Once unlinked, the cardholder will be prompted to enter their correct email address or phone number during their next transaction.

Hopefully this hits the mark. If not, please let me know! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 16

I have a similar case, except I am the cardholder and the receipt was sent to SOMEONE else. I've opened a ticket, but haven't received any response yet. As the cardholder, if I choose to break the link between my card and the requested emails, it won't fix the problem that the wrong email is stored. Will it??

Message 5 of 16
Square Community Moderator

@Jhilsmier This would fix it for you, as choosing to break the link will cause you to be prompted to enter your correct email address or phone number during your next transaction with a Square Seller. 

Message 6 of 16

This just happened to me today.  A gal contacted me saying she received a receipt, but her email is different than the one my client has on file. My clients info is correct. Why did this receipt get sent to a totally random person I do not have on file at all?

Message 7 of 16

I got a charge for a sandwich to a place i have never been am i being hacked

Message 8 of 16

@pattersonjj11 see Seans post above. It sounds like someone may have received another person's receipt by mistake.

Message 9 of 16

EJ, how does this happen? I'm not very happy about it. I never once gave my girlfriend's contact info (email or phone number) to either of the two places that sent receipts to her recently instead of me. Her # is not connected to my credit card or the transaction in any way, so how does this happen and what are you guys doing to correct it? A transaction receipt should never be sent to a random phone number! And like I said, there is NO WAY that I ever gave my girlfriend's # to either one of those places (as you know no one even knows other people's #'s anymore)!

Message 10 of 16
Alumni

Hi @msp909 - I'll jump in for @EJ_ on this. 

When a receipt is sent to the wrong recipient, it almost always happens because you visited a Square seller with the other party (in this case, your girlfriend). She likely completed the transaction and entered her phone number thinking nothing of it. We have no way of knowing her phone number on our own without it being intentionally entered at the point of sale. 

We can definitely remove her contact number from your payment card. Contact us with the payment details and we'll be happy to help. 

Message 11 of 16

I am having a similar issue where the reciept wasn't just sent to someone random, it was sent to someone I know. My husband recently made a purchase and somehow the receipt was sent to MY MOTHER. And lets just say it isn't something we want her knowing he is buying. There is absolutely no way he "accidently" entered her number or email. How did she receive this? Luckily this is just a somewhat embarrassing situation for us, but it could be worse for others. Imagine if a receipt was sent to your employer, or your childrens school. This is a huge problem that absolutely must be fixed. 

Message 12 of 16
Admin

Best Answer

Oh no, I'm really sorry for this experience! Square's Automatic Receipts feature will tie an email address to a specific payment card. I can't see your receipt history from here - but if you or your husband were out with your mother it is possible that her email address became tied to your card at the end of a sale.  I've just asked our CS team to email you - they'll need the details of this payment to be able to investigate exactly how your information was mixed up.

In the meantime your mother can tap 'Not Your Receipt' at the end of the receipt to unlink her email address from the card in question (or our team can do this for her). 

Apologies again! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 16

Uh, me too. My friend (who is not related, never been authorized on my card or even in the same state as me) is getting my receipts.  Please help!!

Message 14 of 16

Hey there @NancyP 

This can be corrected by visiting profile.squareup.com.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 16

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "customer is getting a receipt that isn't theirs" The author has been notified via email.

We have received phone calls with cusotmers getting receipts via email or text that isn't theirs. How does this happen?

Message 16 of 16