x

Anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the "Recording App Detected" error message?

I have purchased the Square Chip Reader at our local Best Buy several weeks ago. It has been working great with my phone - until yesterday.

I keep getting the message Recording App Detected. It prompts you to shut down your device if this persists.

1) I don't have any recording apps open. (I don't use any recording apps...and I don't have any other apps open when I use my square.)

2) I have done the restart several times, but I keep getting the message.

3) I have not downloaded any new apps since starting to use this new chip reader.

Anyone have any ideas or tips to share that I might not be thinking of?

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I just had this problem, and I solved it by checking the app permissions (android) and enabling Square to have access to my phone's microphone. Under settings/apps/square.

Good luck!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Best Answer

I just had this problem, and I solved it by checking the app permissions (android) and enabling Square to have access to my phone's microphone. Under settings/apps/square.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 24

Thanks!!

I had the same problem and that solved it!

Message 3 of 24

Same issue, but I had to turn the microphone off in the Android Settings/App/Square, then turn it back on.  It then worked.

Message 4 of 24
Square

@GRR - Glad to hear this worked! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 24

I am having the same issue and tried turning the microwave off and on ... but the message persists ("Recording App Detected"). I can use the Square but have to stop what I'm doing to put my phone into sleep mode before turning it back on to finish the sale. Everything else seems to work except for this annoying persistent messgae that I'm not sure how to get rid of. I use a Samsung Galaxy 7. Anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks.

Message 6 of 24
Square

Sorry to hear, @RamonaR. Did the tips above not address the issues? 

Message 7 of 24

OOppps....lol....my previous post should have read...."tried turning the microphone off and on"....not the "microwave off and on"....sorry about that. Sheesh! But nevertheless, I still have the problem whether I turn the microwave or microphone off and on... lol. 

Any tips on how to fix the issue on my phone would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ramona

Message 8 of 24
Square

Hmm, would you mind posting a screenshot of the Android Settings showing that the Square app has access to the microphone, @RamonaR

I'll need to pass it on to our developers if you do and the error is still occurring. Thanks for your help!

Message 9 of 24

ScreenShot-Samsung7

Here's the pic you asked for....

Thanks

Ramona

Message 10 of 24
Square

Thank you! I'll pass this on to our developers and let you know when I have an update. (I may email you directly, if they need additional info.) Thanks again.

Message 11 of 24

I am having this problem also. I have done everything that was suggested but the message still appears. I am at wit’s end.  Any other ideas?  It is a Samsung tablet. 

Message 12 of 24
Admin

So sorry for the frustration @oreoman26!

Can you confirm that you've allowed Square to access the microphone from the Settings section of your device? If you have enabled this permission and it you're' still seeing this error message please let me know so we can investigate this further for you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 24

I have shut off, uninstalled, and everything else that was suggested.  The problem still persists.  I have even called square customer support and they are stumped (or at least the guy was I was talking to).

He acted like this was the first time this has happened.  

Message 14 of 24
Admin

Hey @oreoman26, very sorry to hear this. Are you still encountering this issue? If so, please let us know and we'll take another look.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 15 of 24

I still get the message but I am still able to use Square regardless. Basically, I had been ignoring it as I did not find a complete resolution. On the other hand, I only require the use of Square occasionally.

Message 16 of 24
Admin

Sorry to hear it, @RamonaR — that does sound strange. I've been looking into this further and some people have been able to resolve by backgrounding, then returning to the app. Does that help with removing the error message that you're seeing?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 17 of 24

I'm going to chime in with my perspective on this, maybe people will find it helpful:

When using Square, I also get the notice "Recording Device Detected", and it happens inconsistently.

I solved it by turning off microphone permissions for certain apps. These apps were always-on services that are useful to me, but I have to limit them if I wish to use the Square app.

My device is a Google Pixel 2, and I like to keep the always-on song-detection feature enabled. I'm in cafes every day and I like to glance down at my screen and see what song is playing (it's really cool!). However this means the my devices' microphone is essentially always on, listening for potential music to analyze. I have to disable this app if I want to use Square without getting the "Recording Device Detected" warning.

To manage my app microphone permissions, on my Google Pixel 2 using Android 8:

Settings > Apps & notifications > App permissions > Microphone

Here I can see all the apps which have permission to use my microphone. The list doesn't tell me which apps are currently running, or which ones are always-on services, but I just know what to look for. In my case, the app Pixel Ambient Services was the culprit. Disabling this, though, means I no longer have active music detection (bummer) and I believe I can no longer say "Ok Google" to brint up the Google Assistant (something which I don't want anyways).

Anyways, toggling the microphone permission for the Square app itself shouldn't have anything to do with the error "Recording Device Detected". Also, turning your microwave on-or-off shouldn't have anything to do with this either, unless you want to make popcorn while reading this. Give me some.

Message 18 of 24
Admin

Thank you very much for this useful post @KoopaTroop!🍿😊

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 19 of 24

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "recording app detected...whattheheck??" The author has been notified via email.

Howdy All Newbie here.... In starting the app, it often displays a box which says basically, "recording app detected....u must close this before a transaction can be done" The card reader is in the headphone jack & I don't have any recording app running. One time I restarted the app (which it said to do) & another time the box vanished on it's own. I have no recording app running in my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, but I'm also new to using that device. I will only use the tablet for art fair sales & have no unnecessary apps installed. Does anyone have knowledge of this scenario? TIA

Message 20 of 24
Beta Member

I'm having this same issue but with an Acer Chromebook. Since it has Chrome OS, none of the above mentioned fixes are applicable. The only microphone setting I can find is for sites to ask me before they can access the mike.

Also, my Bluetooth contactless reader won't connect with the Chromebook. It works with all of my phones.

Message 21 of 24