x

Anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the "Recording App Detected" error message?

I have purchased the Square Chip Reader at our local Best Buy several weeks ago. It has been working great with my phone - until yesterday.

I keep getting the message Recording App Detected. It prompts you to shut down your device if this persists.

1) I don't have any recording apps open. (I don't use any recording apps...and I don't have any other apps open when I use my square.)

2) I have done the restart several times, but I keep getting the message.

3) I have not downloaded any new apps since starting to use this new chip reader.

Anyone have any ideas or tips to share that I might not be thinking of?

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I just had this problem, and I solved it by checking the app permissions (android) and enabling Square to have access to my phone's microphone. Under settings/apps/square.

Good luck!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ranjen2069!

The Chromebook isn't compatible with our readers at this time.

Just phones/tablets! You can check the compatibility of any device you want to use on our Compatibility page

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 24

I have this issue as well.  The Square app has permissions to the microphone.  I don't have any recording apps enabled.  I have called tech support numerous times and been advised to uninstall/reinstall the Square app.  That doesn't work anymore.  Restarting the device doesn't work.

Message 23 of 24
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @PassMeKnot

Welcome to the Community!

What device are you using with your magstripe reader? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 24