x

App doesn't search SKUs when using scanner, only item names

I purchased the a bluetooth scanner, Socket Mobile 7Ci CX2870-1409 Bluetooth Cordless Hand Scanner, to use with my square system. I use an ipad mini and don't have a square stand.

When I enter item SKUs to an existing item in my square app, then scan the matching barcode, the scanner reads the barcode and pulls up the number but can't find the item. It seems that the app is only searching item names and not their corresponding SKU. I've tested this and changed an item name to be the SKU, which does work when I scan. So, the only way I can have my items be called up by the scanner is if the item names are actually the barcode number. For example, item "Chips" with a SKU 123456654321 can't be found by the scanner, but if I change "Chips" to "123456654321" the item is found. This doesn't seem right so I must be missing something...I should be able to keep the item name to "Chips."

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Square

@PackVIC - Welcome to the Seller Community, and sorry to hear about the trouble! With some troubleshooting steps, hopefully we can get things working for you. 

To start with the basics, would you mind checking for app updates in the Apple App store? Would you also mind signing out of the Square Register app, and then signing back again? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 25

I am having the same exact issue.  This seems to be a major bug and entirely defeats the purpose of spending $200 on a barcode scanner.  I have a brand new ipad, updated iOS, and just installed the latest version of Square Register.  

Message 3 of 25

Further information:  When using the app on my android phone, typing in a SKU manually does in fact bring up the item.  It appears to be a bug in the iOS version of the app.  I'd appreciate a response on when this can be reviewed for a fix.  

Message 4 of 25

Further further information:  Apparently... you have to have the scanner in app mode instead of the basic mode.  It would really be nice if there was a step by step tutorial for this stuff using the "approved" hardware, rather than having to spend all this time on trial and error.  

Message 5 of 25

Did you ever find a fix?

Message 6 of 25

As a follow up - after a lot of back and forth with Square, we discovered that the reason we had the issues above was because we were manually adding the SKU to the item after the item was already in our system. Square's solution, which worked for us:

1. Create a NEW item

2. Don't enter any info for that item until

3. Using the scanner, scan the item's barcode. This then populates the SKU line for the item. 

4. THEN you can add text, prices, etc.  

If you want to add multiple price points with indivudual SKUs, just put the cursor in the empty SKU field, scan, fill in your price and description, then go to the next row, put the cursor in that row's empty SKU field, scan, enter info, repeat.

Message 7 of 25

Why don't they just add this feature already. You should be able to search by SKU or Name or even something in the Description or Tags. This is very easy to implement. My thought is that Square want you to buy their barcode so that they can make more $$$. It's a sensible business strategy but it a very crappy thing to do to small businesses that can't afford to have the Square branded barcode scanner.

Optionally, the iPad has a camera: Why are we even fussing with barcode scanners? You should be able to show the iPad the item and capture the barcode using the camera that is built into the device. (Hey Square, that idea is free from me... I don't even want credit)

Message 8 of 25
Admin

Hey @EolaPets, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this. I'll be sure to surface your insight about item search and additional bar code scanner options to the appropriate team members.

In the meantime, hopefully @PackVIC's workaround helps with this. You can keep an eye on supported hardware in our Support Center, and we'll circle back to this thread with any other useful updates.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 25
Admin

Hello @timdawg101, @PackVIC, and @EolaPets,

Good news — the ability to search by SKU is now available with the latest version of the app

If you haven't already, please give it a run-through and let us know how it goes. Hope this helps streamline the checkout process for you, and thank you for your patience as we continue to improve. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 10 of 25

My app is all up to date, but I'm still having the same issue as the original poster. Do I really have to recreate every single item in my inventory from scratch using the USB scanner in order to make it work?

Thanks,

Erin

Message 11 of 25
Admin

Hey @erinwhitcomb, sorry to hear it — that does sound a bit odd.😕 Is this happening with all of your items? If PackVIC's suggestion doesn't resolve this for you, please let our Support Team know — they'll take a deeper dive into your account.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 12 of 25

Tom,

I have the latest square retail app.  I have already created a very lenghty csv file containing all info for each item in my store (@400 items).  This csv file has been uploaded into my Ipad, and all seems to be well with that piece of the puzzle.  However, when I use my bluetooth scanner... it reads the info ok, but my ipad then says "SKU 85767200343 not found."  I cannot fathom having to re-input all 400+ items by scanning the UPC's first.  I read you have an update for this... but cannot seem to find the info on how to do this. Please help!!  I am desparate to find out how to sync this information.  Thank you!

Message 13 of 25
Super Seller Alumni

Do any of your upcs work?  I would find and item and look at the upc in Square to see if it matches the actual item UPC and what you had on your csv file.

Message 14 of 25

RHatch,

Yes I have confirmed that all of my UPC entries are correct... it still will not sync the barcode to all of the items I uploaded to my inventory using the suggested csv file format.  Any further suggestions?  This is so irritating, and not one thing posted by Square to address this issue. I am getting close to switching to another pos system. 

Message 15 of 25
Super Seller Alumni

When you say sync, you mean that the upc's aren't there after you upload the items csv?

Message 16 of 25

When I scan an item - the correct upc number (from the scanned item) will populate in my Square Retail App, however, it says the UPC number  "Not Found."  For example, if an item's upc is 8 53994 00108 5 -  My barcode scanner will scan it... and then my Square App reads "SKU853994001085 Not found." So it will not pull up the product that corresponds to the UPC or SKU that is already entered into my Inventory. I preloaded my inventory using a csv file format.

Message 17 of 25
Super Seller Alumni

Square retail app is different then the Square Point of Sale app and POS is what I use.  Maybe another member can help you out.  If not I would contact Support.  I know the POS app works well Uploading, scanning and searching UPCs

Message 18 of 25

I really appreciate your time!  I will reach out to support.  Have a great evening!

Message 19 of 25

Did you ever find a fix for this issue 

Message 20 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MulligansuSG1,

Thanks for writing in!

Can you let us know which device, and scanner you're using so we can take a closer look at some troubleshooting steps with you? I'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Message 21 of 25