x
Super Seller

Are you going phishing?

Hello all!

I’ve seen a few topics here in the community about phishing emails. 

Today, I was the lucky recipient of one of those emails! I haven’t seen the actual emails shown here, so here we go....Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 1.42.25 PM.png

First thing to notice is the footer of the message. Pretty sure Foreseeing Primate isn’t an official part of Square! Also, if you have a really good eye, you’ll notice that all the text between the Square logo and the Click to process button is an image. This is to fool your spam filters. If you don’t see that, it’s okay, because there is one other way to check. You should be able to click or tap on the name of the sender, in this case Square Support. In iOS email, it’s just the matter of tapping on the name. 

2894CD8D-B22E-4614-8EFA-ACAF1CC93D2E.jpeg

See the “other” line? Yup, this is not from a legit Square email. All Square emails will have a squareup.com email address. 

So what do you do if you get an email like this? Well, the first thing is pretty simple:

Whatever you do, don’t click on the Click to Process button to verify if it’s legit!!!!

Then forward the email to spoof@squareup.com. Then delete the email. Square will handle it from here, presumably by using the electronic version of knocking kneecaps together. 😝

There will always be people trying to make a quick buck by scamming others. Don’t let them scam you!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller Alumni

Great write-up and advice, @ryanwanner.  The best advice is to always be skeptical.  Spammers can make a fake email look very legitimate, but there are always ways you can tell they're fake and the best way is to check out the sender's email address.  If it doesn't come from an organization you recognize, it's almsot certainly a fake.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 2