x
Beta Member

Barcode scanner & keyboard issues

When I plug in my barcode scanner I lost the ability to use the keyboard. This is on a Samsung tab A

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Shucks, sorry to hear about the keyboard issue. Your Samsung Galaxy Tab A is definitely compatible with Square Register.

I'd recommend making sure that your barcode scanner is included on our Supported Hardware for Android Devices list. If it is, please try these troubleshooting tips.

If you're still encountering any issues after confirming that your barcode scanner is supported and troubleshooting, please let us know the make/model of your scanner and provide a bit more information on what leads up to the inability to use your keyboard.

Hope this helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 10

Please explan how you are going to use & power a wired barcode scanner off of a tablet? Why haven't you updated the android app to use bluetooth barcode scanners like you have on the apple app? 

USB Bar Code Scanners

Easily add items to your library and speed up your checkout flow with a bar code scanner. Connect the following USB bar code scanners to your device using a USB OTG adaptor:

Message 3 of 10
Square

@webmaster - Bluetooth barcode scanners on Android devices are definitely something on our radar. While I can't speak specifically to a timeline or the technical barriers, we hear you! I'll be sure to share your feedback with our product liaison team too!

As for your other question, you can connect a USB bar code scanners to your device by using a USB OTG adaptor. Check out this article for more details. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 10

Unfortunately I have a Tab 4 which according to your website does not support that function.  It's also the same tablet you were selling before you switched to the Tab A.  It's very irritating how much you do for apple products vs android.

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Hi @droidbaker, welcome to the seller community and sorry to hear about the frustration that not being able to use Bluetooth accessories is causing.

While we still don't have any updates, rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team. Please keep in touch!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 10

They need to do something the fact they can create a bluetooth card reader, yet have taken over a year to implement a bluetooth barcode scanner is mind boggling. 

Message 7 of 10

We are having the same issue. We are using a Galaxy Tab A and a Symbol LS2208 scanner. The scanner is plugged into a powered hub which is connected to an OTG adaptor. The Tab A's "online" keyboard does not work if the scanner is plugged in, so if someone offers change other than the suggested amounts, we are having to unplug the OTG adapter, enter the amount, then plug in the adaptor again.

Message 8 of 10

They're not going to do anything about it, they have proven my point about doing the bare minimum for android users.  They want appel to have exclusive rights to things evidently.  It's a shame honestly.

Message 9 of 10

Old issue but still current. It happened to us this year. In the tablet keyboard settings there is an option 'allow on screen keyboard when external keyboard attached'.

(The tablet considers the barcode reader to be a 'keyboard'.

Message 10 of 10