x

Can I adjust a tip after it's settled?

Can I adjust a tip after it's settled?

So one of my sever’s tips was settled with the incorrect tip, is there a way to go in and adjust the tip after this or is my server just SOL?

43 Comments

A customer in my restaurant paid with a credit card, and I accidentally entered the wrong tip amount. How can I go back and fix the tip for that transaction?

I'd like to know the answer as well. I'll keep searching the forums though..

Square

Once a transaction has been processed, there is no way to edit the tip. In order to adjust the tip amount, you'll need to reprocess that payment (refund and recharge the transaction). 

In the future, you may want to check out sign and tip on receipt which will give you a full 36 hours to enter in the tip amount and settle the transaction. 

Hmmm, I don't think the sign and tip on receipt will help here either. Once settled, its' done I guess.

Square

@bigaxe - With the Sign and Tip on Receipt, you have to manually close out a ticket, but you're correct. If when you manually closed out a ticket , and the wrong tip information was entered -  there wouldn't be a way to correct it. You can always issue a partial refund if too large of a tip was left though. 

Super Seller

you cannot adjust a transaction after it has been approved, as that is what was agreed upon at settlement and what the credit card was approved for..  Even if doing this was possible it would lead to a lot of problem phone calls of "you adjusted my bill after I left and signed."

This is not an answer, and misunderstands the question. 

Example:  customer writes a $20.00 tip on the check, but server fat-finges the tip and settles the transaction with a $2.00 tip.

NOTE - the $20.00 amount is WHAT THE CUSTOMER AGREED TO PAY!

However, the way Square is set-up, there is no way to adjust the amount. I should point out that almost ALL other POS systems allow for correction of this kind of mistake.  

For restaurant users of Square, the option to "re-open" a check is one of the MOST DESIRED "missing features" in Square, and the one that creates some of the BIGGEST HEADACHES.  

The short answer to the OP's question is: NO, you can't correct it.  But the explanation given by the previous answer completely missed the point.

Beta Member

I've got Square Register loaded up with POS and open tickets & tipping. Mistakes happen, tips are entered erroneously (in both directions). I was told we can adjust tips "down" in the case of this, but I can't find any other option than to refund a $$ amount (which I would prefer to not show up on the records on their end).

Anyone have any suggestions about which menu/option to look for?

Thanks!

DS

Super Seller

there isn't a way to adjust a bill lower and not have it show up on their credit card statement.  when you make a transaction it is processed immediately and any adjustments made after will have to be a credit to their account as the original amount can't be changed after the fact.

Beta Member

Thanks for the reply.  I would figure that nothing was permanent until it was settled. We typically do not add tips until an hour or two after the transaction has been approved due to the crowd. 

So then I guess the question would be, can I adjust a tip after it has been entered?