x

Can I connect two iPad stands to one USB Cash Drawer?

I have recently purchased a new Ipad and Square Stand for my sales floor. I am having issues connecting both to one register. I have gone through multiple USB splitters trying to connect the two to the register. I can get one to work but not the other once the splitter is installed. I'm begining to think I am wiring it wrong or going about connecting the two in the wrong way. Perhaps a splitter isnt the correct thing to be using.

My register brand is APG VB554

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

a USB based cash drawer is a one to one connection, meaning you can only connect it to one Square Stand at a time.

We use ethernet printers and the cash drawer connects to the printer and that is a one to many relationship, so many iPads can see the printer and cash drawer over the wifi.

Message 2 of 8

Can you provide more details about this setup? At a public farmers market, connecting via cell provider, is this viable? Does it make more sense to just use 2 cash drawers? Don't really have a need for receipts. Have been using square since it came out for cc, but on 3rd week sans cash register. 

Message 3 of 8
Admin

Hello @gmac

To connect multiple cash drawers to one Stand you can't use cell data only I'm afraid and you would need to connect each drawer to an ethernet printer. Each ethernet printer is then plugged into an AC ground outlet, an ethernet cable connects the printer to your router, and an interface cable connects the cash drawer to your printer. Phew! 

You could use another iPad with your second USB cash drawer. However, keep in mind if you need a cash drawer to open automatically you do need to connect it to a receipt printer. When you connect your cash drawers via USB you can open the cash drawer with a key. 

I'm sorry not to have better news for your set up! I'll share your experience with our hardware team to work on a solution. In the meantime perhaps another seller who operates in a farmers market can reply here with tips on how they manage multiple cash drawers with Square! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 8

We have a similar issue - we have two ipads and one printer and cash box.   The "Main" ipad sits at the cash box and the "portable iPad" goes to guest tables.   Both will record sales, trigger receipt printing and open the cash drawer.   At the beginning of the night we count the "main drawer" and "open" the drawer with the actual balance in the drawer.  The portable ipad is "opened" with a $0 balance in the drawer but as the night goes on it "thinks" it got cash too and shows and "expected" balance even though it's shared.   the result is that the actual balance in the drawer is the combined total of the two "expected" balances.   So at the end of each night I have to doa phantom "CASH OUT" from the portable and "CASH IN" to the main to "zero out the portable"    Then the Expected on the main is equal to the drawer.    Question - how can I set the portable iPad and Main iPad so that there is only one balance?  Or am I doing it the right way already?  thanks

Message 5 of 8
Super Seller

you're doing it the only way that it is possible right now as sharing a drawer isn't an option.  It's a few extra steps but it does work.

Message 6 of 8

Thanks!   Just making sure I wasn't missing something obvious!

Message 7 of 8
Beta Member

@melmsbeer @Can I ask how you've been able to get the portable one to connect to the cash drawer and receipt printer? Is it an Ethernet printer? I too have a main register area with a square stand/drawer/printer, but I was planning to get a 2nd iPad for portable use, but have concerns about it working with the rest of the hardware. Both my printer and drawer are USB

Message 8 of 8