x

Can I manually enter a visa gift card for payment even though there is no ZIP code tied to the card?

My customer wants to use a couple of gift cards to purchase some items. There is no zip code tied to a Visa gift card and he is out of state so I have to key in the card#. How does this work?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @AlexAnders22, welcome to the seller community!

Thanks for surfacing this. If you're keying in a gift card manually, yes, you will need to enter in the appropriate zip code. In many cases, someone has to activate the gift card by using their own address; you may want to ask your customer to provide their zip code. If you're unable to get the payment to go through using the zip code they've provided, they should contact the gift card issuer for that information.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Please let us know if anything else comes up.

New to the Seller Community? Learn how to join.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @AlexAnders22, welcome to the seller community!

Thanks for surfacing this. If you're keying in a gift card manually, yes, you will need to enter in the appropriate zip code. In many cases, someone has to activate the gift card by using their own address; you may want to ask your customer to provide their zip code. If you're unable to get the payment to go through using the zip code they've provided, they should contact the gift card issuer for that information.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Please let us know if anything else comes up.

New to the Seller Community? Learn how to join.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 10

What number do you put in the zip code box? I never heard of a gift card with a zip code attached to it.  

Message 3 of 10
Alumni

Hey @RichieR - If it is a Visa/Mastercard debit gift card, Tom's answer above outlines how to handle the zip code portion of checkout.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 10

Update: I called & was told it is not zip code mandatory or sensative & to enter theirs if possible. I took a charge & entered an old out of state zip code of mine & it went thru. 

Message 5 of 10

Just curious what ZIP code that you entered I'm having the same problem right now as some of these aren't tied to any zip code. 

Message 6 of 10
Square Community Moderator

@Dmandco You can try using 00000 as the ZIP code for international cards or card with no ZIP code. Let me know if that works! Thanks!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 10

I received two gift cards, like the ones you buy at the store as payment. I am not at work with my swipes so I need to manually type in the payment. But it declines because there is no zip code to write in the part when it asks. How do I accept this payment without a swipe?

Message 8 of 10
Admin

Hey @Sammie813! I moved your question to this thread so you can see some of the tips on how to accept a non Square gift card through your POS.

Hopefully this works for you!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 10

Ive taken a few gift cards that have not been activated with a zip code attached and used the zip code where they were purchased and they went through fine

Message 10 of 10