x

Can I turn off or turn down the very loud beep on the square terminal when it reads a card?

Can I turn off or turn down the very loud beep on the square terminal when it reads a card?

I just got the new quare terminal, which I love, but it makes an extremely loud beep when it finishes reading a card and is ready for a signature.  This beep is extra loud in our very quiet acupuncture office and I would like to turn it down or off if necessary.  I tried going into settings and turned down the volume under "Sounds" but that did not affect the volume of this notification at all.  Is there some way to change how loud that is or to turn it off completely?

14 Comments
Admin

Thank you for your post @sankihealth! Currently you can't turn down or turn off the payment success beep tone that you hear on the Square Terminal. I'm sorry!

But I really appreciate your feedback about how this isn't suitable as your business is a quite space. If it's possible to control this sound in future we'll update this post to let you know.

It would be great if Square can update this feature on the Terminal. I too work in a quiet setting, i.e. massage studio and this sound is very disruptive. I won't be buying this device. =(

Has this functionality been added? The loud beep is very disruptive. We are a theatre that relies on our bar revenue, and as it is, we have to limit when we can sell drinks because this thing is so loud. How hard could it be to add an option to turn off the beep?! 

Although I hope Square eventually adds a volume functionality for this, can you put a bit of tape over the speaker in the meantime? I do this for most of my devices and it seems to be a simple yet effective compromise.

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @ArenaDT - thanks for reaching out here and adding your voice to this feature request thread.

While there is no update to share on this feature just yet, I am happy to pass your post along to our Product Teams for visibility. The extra context about your business should be helpful in passing along the urgency. When we have more info to share, we will bounce back here and update everyone on this thread.

Thanks for your patience!

We are in the same boat, it is quite loud upon check out and we can hear the 'beep' in treatment rooms. 

Reading from the feed, it looks like this will be addressed but wanted to add our input. (we currently have a towel over it to mute the sound, not super professional but does the trick for now) 

Thank you all for the help!

Hi @spajasper 👋 Thanks for reaching out here and joining us on the Seller Community. We are so happy to have you.

We appreciate you adding your voice in support of changes to the volume feature. As soon as we have some positive news to share, we will reach back out to everyone here and let you know. We also appreciate you offering your towel tips!

I would like to add to this as a request to remedy the sound.  We have had a number of  clients comment on the sound, our spa is a tranquil place to visit and ending on the loud beep is not how we'd like our guests to remember us.  Added to that, it can be heard in out treatment rooms.

It sounds dramatic but we are considering changing software for this one reason.

Beta Member

My new terminal makes a super obnoxious beep when I run a card, although in settings the sound is turned down to zero and the option up top is OFF.  Very startling in a nice quiet treatment room. 

I cannot find a phone number or way to email Square - everything seems to take me back to the bot, which is useless. Help?

Hi there, @sharonrose 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to hear from you.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding removing the payment confirmation sound. It looks like this is an ongoing Feature Request that you can track here. 

As soon as we have more info to share in regards to this feature rollout, we will bounce back here and update accordingly. Cheers!