x

Cash Drawer doesn't open when internet is down.

How do we configure our devices and software so that cash transactions open the drawer regardless of internet connectivity?

Hardware: Samsung Tab A 10.1 with Star Micronics Co Model 37965600 Printer-driven Cash Drawer and Receipt Printer Model #TSP100 or TSP143IIILAN

My receipt printer is connected directly to the Internet router / wireless network device. The wireless signal rarely ever goes down, but the internet connectivity can go down for hours at a time due to a bad location / poor service.

When the internet goes down, cash transactions don't cause the cash drawer to pop open as they do when internet connectivity is up. Using the cash drawer key seems like an onerous and kludgy answer. What's a better one?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

HI @SportClub !

This is a problem that I've been banging my head on, and unfortunately I think it's a limitation in the OS, not Square. Let me 'splain...

I'm assuming your tablet has cell connectivity, and when it can't find the wifi, it defaults to the cell service? If so, that's the problem. From what I can tell, if your tablet moves to the cell network, it can't "see" the wireless network anymore. I'm betting that if you tried to print something, it wouldn't happen for the same reason. I've always wondered if there is a way to programatically tell the software to continue to look for the wireless network even when connected to the cell network, but I'm not sure it's possible.

Even in the Apple world I experience this same problem when my tablet drops to cell service. However, in the Apple world, with a Square Stand, you can put USB printers that connect to the stand, which means they would work regardless of network status, but in the Android world, unfortunately, I don't think there's a way around it. 😞

Wish I had better news!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 4

My tablet's only internet connection is via the in-house WiFi, actually, and the WiFi isn't going down, only the internet connection (provided by the same piece of hardware) is. So I'm not sure the above answer applies to our setup.

@ryanwanner 

Message 3 of 4

@SportClub when the internet goes down, does your receipt printer still print tickets? 

Message 4 of 4