x

Clicking sound from phone

My phone has started clicking when i pull out the square gadget after finishing a sale. I ordered a new unit but it still is happening. What should i do? I've been turning off my phone momentarily to stop the clicking sound. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Hello @Swuare, welcome to the Seller Community. 

I have never heard of this happening. So let's try some troubleshooting to pinpoint the issue. I have some questions and some tips to try. I've listed them below: 

• What kind of device do you use to take payments? 
  • What OS is your device running?
  • Is your Square Point of Sale App up to date?
  • Does it only happen after running a card? 
  • Does it still make the sound if you plug and unplug the reader outside of the App?
  • Have you tried force quitting the App while it's making the sound? 
  • Also have you tried deleting and reinstalling the App? 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 😃

Message 2 of 14

Hi there, 

I am also having this same problem and was looking for a solution when I found this online. I have included answers to the questions you posed to the writer of the original post. Thanks for your help on this. 

What kind of device do you use to take payments? --Samsung 7

• What OS is your device running?--Android 7.0
  • Is your Square Point of Sale App up to date?--Yes.
  • Does it only happen after running a card? --Yes, only after using a card and pulling out the square
  • Does it still make the sound if you plug and unplug the reader outside of the App?--No
  • Have you tried force quitting the App while it's making the sound?--Yes, if I force quit it stops. 
  • Also have you tried deleting and reinstalling the App? --Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. 
Message 3 of 14

@Sally2, we just came out with a new update this week. Version 4.64, since downloading this update do you still have the clicking noise coming through your speakers? 

Message 4 of 14

My phone has started clicking when i pull out the square gadget after finishing a sale. I have the latest Square update. 4.64. I also got a new magnetic slide reader but it is still happening.  The only way I can make it stop is by turning my phone completely OFF. Please advise how to correct this inconvenience.

Message 5 of 14
Square Community Moderator

@Swuare Can you provide the details that @Chad requested previously?

This is indeed strange, as I haven't come across anything like this either. 

Have you tried toggling your volume? 

Do you have a different device that you can accept a payment on? If so, try taking a payment on that device to see if it causes this to happen as well. 

Have you brought this to your device manufacturer? It could be that there's something within the headphone jack. 

Message 6 of 14

Same here. When I remove the reader the clicking starts whether I've made a sale or not. I ordered a new reader but after seeing this thread I realise that might not fix the problem.

What kind of device do you use to take payments? --Axon Mini 7

• What OS is your device running?--Android 7.1.1
  • Is your Square Point of Sale App up to date?--Yes.
  • Does it only happen after running a card? -- No. It happens when I remove the square , whether I've made a sale or not, card or not.
  • Does it still make the sound if you plug and unplug the reader outside of the App?--No
  • Have you tried force quitting the App while it's making the sound?--No. I'm not sure what "force quitting" means
  • Also have you tried deleting and reinstalling the App? --Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled. 
Message 7 of 14

Hey @kburkese9

This issue has still perplexed me. If you have the time could you give us a call? We can have our Support Team record all of your devices specs and have our Engineering Team take a closer look. 

If you need help finding finding your customer code, go ahead and click on that link. 😉

Message 8 of 14

My telephone also clicks when I remove the Square from the phone.  I'm not happy!

Message 9 of 14
Alumni

Hey @Verna - Sorry that you're experiencing this as well. Let's have you contact our Support team as well. They're available over the phone from Mon - Fri, but if you need to speak to someone now you can contact them via email.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 10 of 14

Has anyone cone up with a solution yet? My phone is still doing this. Have to completely turn it off to stop.

Message 11 of 14
Admin

Sorry to hear that you've been encountering trouble with this as well, @Sheathelm. I went to check on this and it doesn't look like we've been able to pinpoint what may be causing the issue from our end. If you haven't already, I would suggest getting in touch with our CS Team directly. Please provide the exact make and model of your Android device, and let them know if you have any other apps that may be running in the background.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. We'll circle back to this thread if were able to find any other information as well.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 12 of 14

My phone isn't doing this any more. Just stopped happening some months back so I had forgotten about it until seeing this new post. 

Message 13 of 14
Admin

Thanks for circling back, @Swuare—I'm really glad to hear that the clicking noises stopped. How mysterious that others have since reported it though... 🤔

For good measure, if anyone else on this thread is still experiencing this annoyance, these troubleshooting tips may help: Square Point of Sale App Troubleshooting

If anyone else has any updates to share, please don't hesitate to let us know.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 14 of 14