x

Connecting contactless card reader to Android phone

I had trouble connecting my card reader to my phone. It had worked perfectly previous week and suddenly would not work. Not having the time at the Farmers Market to trouble shoot I switch to the swipe card reader. The next day I went thru all steps I could find for fixing this problem even called support and worked with them for over an hour and half. The phone refused to pair / connect with the reader. I was told the reader was bad and to get a new one. My husband suggested it was a blue tooth connection problem. To solve the blue tooth connection problem. Go to settings, select the blue tooth. Check the box that says make my phone visible. Do a search for Blue tooth devices. It will find the Chip reader. On the chip reader push the button to get the flashing orange lights. Blue tooth will then pair !!! Accessing the Square app will then show the reader and will also connect with the reader. !!!  Note I have been using Square for over a year and never had to do this before.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @carolynamu,

I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble with the contactless + chip reader. 

Can you tell me what kind of android device you have? I'm wondering if it isn't compatible and that's why the issues with it are persisting.

Also- do you have some sort of internet connection at these farmer's markets or a hot spot you use?

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

I use an Android LG -- I have been using this phone and chip reader together since April 2018 and this is the first time connection has failed completely. The Farmer's market doesn't have a hot spot. I have used the phone and reader there just the past week with no problems at all. I now am beginning to wonder if the Android system update that was installed the day before is the reason the Blue Tooth connection process changed.

Message 3 of 6
Admin

@carolynamu

The update could definitely be the issue- usually because there is a firmware update that sometimes the reader doesn't recognize right away.

Check out this Support Center Article which outlines how to specifically reset your reader. An orange bar will sometimes appear to install the firmware update, and usually this will solve connection issues after an update. 

Hope that helps!

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 4 of 6

You need to read my post again. I went thru every possible step in the support article. AND none of them solved the problem. 2 hours on the phone with tech support did not solve the problem. The problem was only accidentally solved when I tried to get a blue tooth connection to my husband's phone and found the check box. You need to add to your support article that people with android phones need to check if there is "Allow other Blue tooth devices to find my phone" box that needs to be check in the settings for the phone.  Other people with Android phones may be having this same problem and not realize this is a possible solution also!

Message 5 of 6
Admin

@carolynamu

We do hear you. Each Android phone is different and there are 100's on the market. Sorry this happened to you, and glad you got it all figured out in the end.

We'll see what we can do about the support center article.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 6 of 6