x

Contactless Bluetooth Reader "This reader is not compatible with the country you are in" error

Our company is based in Japan and we do many events both here and in the U.S.
We have seperate square accounts for each country.

We purchased a Contactless Bluetooth Reader here in Japan but used it for the first time at an event in the U.S. with our U.S. account.

I am now getting an "This reader is not compatible with the country you are in" when I try to connect it to my iPad using the Japan account.

The Square website says:
"Keep in mind, Square hardware can only be used in the country where it was originally purchased. If you see Account Ineligible, you reader may have been purchased in a different country."

I am wondering if this is not exactly true though, as we purchased the reader here in Japan but used it initially in the U.S.

Does this mean the reader gets "Paired" exclusively with the first country it is used in? Is there a way to reset it?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @ono. Thanks so much for flagging that verbiage on our Support Center. That actually does need to be changed because you are right- whichever country the reader initially gets paired in is the only place that it will be able to continue to be paired successfully and be used.

Regrettably there isn't a way to reset the location settings of the reader once it's been paired. The only alternative would be to purchase another reader.

Let me know if you have questions about this.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 2