x

Contactless Chip reader won't pair. Why?

My contactless chip reader won't pair with my phone. I've done all the troubleshooting steps. I get blinking dots for a while and then eventually 4 blinking red dots.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Super Seller Alumni

What phone are you trying to pair with.  Is it compatible? Check here to make sure.  If it is let us know the model and we may be able to assist further.  

Message 2 of 40

I have a Galaxy S5. It has worked for almost a year and it just stopped all of a sudden recently.

Message 3 of 40
Alumni

Hey there @StartingLineFit - I'm really sorry to hear about this trouble. 

Thanks, @RHatch, you're totally right with sharing the device compatibility list. There are a few models of Samsung devices that have been supported for use with the Contactless + Chip Card reader that are now experiencing issues. This was caused by a recent update made by Samsung that limits some devices from using Bluetooth Low Energy which is what allows your device to connect to the Contactless + Chip Card reader. We have contacted Samsung and they are working to fix this ASAP. 

In the meantime please use the Magstripe reader to process payment cards. 

Message 4 of 40

My contactless chip reader won't pair with my new iPhone Xs.  When I try to pair it, I get an error message "Pairing Failed."  I tried it three times, I restarted the reader to make sure it forgot the old phone it was paired.  Still no luck.  I can't keep manually entering credit cards.

Message 5 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hey @AcousticArchite and welcome to the Community!

Did you go onto the old device and go through the Settings to actually forget the reader on there? It won't let you pair it to the new one until you go to the Settings on the old device and select to > Forget This Device.

Let me know if that gets it working! 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 40

Unfortunately I haven't had that old device for months.  We don't use the card reader that often, hence why it took us so long to discover this issue.   How can I make the reader forget the old device without actually having the old device here?

Message 7 of 40

@AcousticArchite Ohhhh okay gotcha.

When you restarted it, did you do the hard reset where you hold it down for 15-20 seconds and it flashes all red lights?

That's what I would suggest to try next unless that's what you already did. 

Ashley C
Message 8 of 40

Yes I already did the hard reset, holding it down until after it stops flashing red.  I did it twice, waited 10 seconds afterward each time, then tried to pair it.  Didn't work.

Message 9 of 40

@AcousticArchite I don't want to sound redundant- but can you try these Troubleshooting Steps for me real quick?

I want to rule out everything before trying to determine if it's defective. 

Ashley C
Message 10 of 40

That's what I did before.  Twice.

I redid all the steps for connecting the reader to a new device, and it did the same thing.  After doing the full reset, I pressed the button and confirmed it had all four green lights so it has plenty of battery.  Then I tried to connect it, it shows up as an option in the app, but when I tap it to connect, it gives me the 'processing' circle then says 'failed to pair' on my phone while the four green lights light up on the reader.

Message 11 of 40

@AcousticArchite Did you try any of the other steps? Like checking for updates for the app or the device itself?

I understand that you tried re-pairing it quite a few times but there's a list of other things you can try on that troubleshooting page that can usually resolve the issues with this reader. 

Ashley C
Message 12 of 40

I couldn't find an update for the app or the device itself.  I deleted the app and reinstalled it, it did the same thing.

Message 13 of 40

@AcousticArchite It might be best here to give our Support Team a call so they can take a look on their end and offer some more steps that you can try in real time.

There's other things they can try with you together that should get it back up and running.

Ashley C
Message 14 of 40

I just spoke with tech support, they are swapping out my reader.

Message 15 of 40

@AcousticArchite Oh okay!

Sorry they weren't able to fix the one you've got. It sounds like it may of been defective. ☹️

Ashley C
Message 16 of 40

This is happening to me today. I have never used my chip reader but I lost my swipe adapter. Of course I have a show on Friday. Any thoughts?

Message 17 of 40

Hi @Toto2

Have you tried the hard reset troubleshooting steps mentioned in the Best Answer post on this thread? 

That usually does the trick with pairing issues on the Contactless + Chip Reader. 

Kassi
Message 18 of 40

Yes. I tried everything. I am at a loss.

Message 19 of 40

Thanks for trying those steps, @Toto2. So sorry this issue is persisting for you. Would you mind flagging this to our Support Team? They should be able to help you get this resolved. 

We look forward to hearing from you! 

Joe
Message 20 of 40

How do I do that?

Message 21 of 40