x

Contactless and chip reader not pairing

My contactless chip reader won't pair with my iPad anymore. I've tried uninstalling the square app and reinstalling it. I've restarted my iPad and everything is on the latest update. But when I try to pair the orange lights just keep flashing but never connects. The same thing happens when I try to connect to the app on my iPhone.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 97
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: My

Have you completed any troubleshooting yet, @kmehos33?

Start here!

If you still need a hand, our support team can walk you through the steps over the phone.

Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Mysnailsandme, welcome to the seller community!

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your chip reader and thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot. That definitly shouldn't be happening. 🤔

There are a few more pairing troubleshooting tips in our Support Center that may resolve this right away — you'll want to double check that your reader is fully charged, Bluetooth is turned on, and that you have a strong internet connection. Have a look here for more information: My Reader won’t pair with my device.

If you're still encountering this issue after giving it another try with those steps in mind, please let our Support Team know or reply here with any other details on what's going on. Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of a software company. We use Square embedded within our own Android app to take mobile payments from a tablet in a healthcare setting.

We are experiencing the same issue that user 'richcirminello' in the community listings mentioned regarding a card reader failing to pair.

Basically, the chip reader fails to connect when in the pairing workflow (reader changes from flashing orange to flashing red when it is attempting to pair), and then the following message is displayed on screen -- "Square failed to pair with Contactless + Chip (7712). Press and hold the power button until the lights continuously flash red. [OK]" Note, in some cases the card reader will read "XXXX" instead of the reader number.

This first started to happen for some of our customers in the field, and then most recently happened in our own QA environment on 8/16/2019.

As of right now we have the card reader in our QA environment paired again, but we are increasingly concerned since this is happening for our customers and we cannot determine the cause. The last customer that hit this issue stated that the reader tried to perform firmware updates before hitting this issue. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Below we have listed the tablet details and troubleshooting steps we have already tried that did not fix the issue.

• Samsung Galaxy Tab A
  • Android version 8.1
  • Internet is ON
  • Bluetooth is ON
  • Reader is fully charged
  • Tablet is fully charged
  • Tried Hard Restart of card reader
  • Tried Rebooting
  • Tried Removing and Reinstalling app
  • Tried 'Forget Device' from Bluetooth Settings
  • Tried 'Forget Reader' from Square pairing workflow

Message on reader when fails to pair. Sometimes this message reads "xxxx" where the card reader number should beMessage on reader when fails to pair. Sometimes this message reads "xxxx" where the card reader number should be

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 64 of 97
Square Community Moderator

Hi @mgalic and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for providing us with all the details beforehand. I took a look and it looks like the device you're using should be perfectly compatible so that wouldn't be the issue.

Does the reader ever get separated from the tablet or is it always right next to it? I assume it's next to it when you're attempting to pair as well. I just want to make sure I go over all possibilities before I maybe suggest switching it out for a new one. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 65 of 97

Hi @ashc!

Thank you for your response. The reader is always with the tablet, and yes they are close together when trying to pair.

Message 66 of 97

@mgalic That is so strange. 

I'd recommend at this point reaching out to the Support Team directly by giving us a call and see if they have any other recommendations.

They can also go over the options you have to potentially switch it out for a new one as well.

Ashley C
Message 67 of 97

Nowhere do I see a place to sync square to tablet

Message 68 of 97
Alumni

Hey @LCA25 - I've moved your post over to this existing thread so you can check out the Best Answer and the tips included. If you're still not able to pair the reader after running through these steps, go ahead and call our CS team so they can point you in the right direction!

Valentina
Message 69 of 97

I’m having similar issue except when I tap connect reader the connect to Bluetooth comes up.bluetooth is on. It won’t go past that point.

Message 70 of 97

I already ordered  a new one and that won’t connect either.

Message 71 of 97

Hi @hairwiz1971

I am so sorry about that! Have you tried any of these troubleshooting steps? 

If those didn't do the trick, I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Success team directly about this. - http://squ.re/contact/

(Tip: after clicking the link above, hit More > I Don't See My Issue. There, our phone number will generate along with your customer code).

Kassi
Message 72 of 97

I've just had the same issues with the two readers I have.

I unpaired everything on my Bluetooth paired list and retried the reader pairing and that fixed the problem.

Just have to narrow down what was paired that was affecting my reader pairing.

Message 73 of 97

Hi there, @Laurie2019 👋 Thanks for reaching out here on the Seller Community! So sorry about the trouble with your reader. We are here to help!

Were you able to try the troubleshooting steps linked above? If so, and you are still experiencing issues, we recommend flagging this over to our Support Team for further troubleshooting. They should be able to get you back in business.

We will keep an eye out for your contact! 

Joe
Message 74 of 97

Hi Joe,  I think I mentioned in my post that removing all paired devices from my Bluetooth list fixed the problem.

And yes,  I'd been through all other repairing steps.

I've had my square for over two years now.

Cheers

Message 75 of 97
Alumni

Hey @Laurie2019 👋 Jumping in for Joe here - 

We're glad you figured it out! I'll make sure to pass your message along to him! As always, let us know if you need anything else

😉

Justin
Message 76 of 97

My new iPhone doesn’t pair with my old chip reader what can I do?

Message 77 of 97

Hi there, @lam1 - thanks for reaching out here and letting us know. So sorry for the trouble with your reader.

I've merged your question with an identical thread of Sellers also having this issue. 

I would take a look at this Best Answer from Tom! These troubleshooting steps should get you back in business.

Joe
Message 78 of 97

I followed all the troubleshooting steps but the reader is still not connecting to my phone. 

It connected before but started acting up today. My reader is new so I do not know what is happening. How do I request to speak to someone or request a replacement?

Thanks much.

Message 79 of 97

how do I connect my chip reader to my IPad and/or IPhone

Message 80 of 97
Alumni

I've moved your post here so you can see @Tom's answer in this thread. This article from our Support Center should get you set up properly, but if you're a more visual learner, head over to check out this video 😊

Be sure to reach out directly if you still need a han, @winniehar!

Valentina
Message 81 of 97
Beta Member

Reader will not connect to phone. New in January 2020, and connected without issues.

Message 82 of 97

Hi there, @crabbyjohn - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here and make a new post.

So sorry to hear about the trouble pairing your reader. Just to be clear, are you using the Contactless & Chip Card reader?

If so, I would recommend following these troubleshooting steps. They will insure all software wrinkles are ironed out for not only your Point of Sale app, but also for your device itself.

Let us know if that gets you where you need to be! We want to make sure this gets solved for you.

Joe
Message 83 of 97

When I hit “review and checkout” on my appointment app, it will not connect to the reader.  I then have to open the original Square app to process the payment. Help. 

Message 84 of 97