x

Contactless and chip reader not pairing

My contactless chip reader won't pair with my iPad anymore. I've tried uninstalling the square app and reinstalling it. I've restarted my iPad and everything is on the latest update. But when I try to pair the orange lights just keep flashing but never connects. The same thing happens when I try to connect to the app on my iPhone.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 97
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: My

Have you completed any troubleshooting yet, @kmehos33?

Start here!

If you still need a hand, our support team can walk you through the steps over the phone.

Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Mysnailsandme, welcome to the seller community!

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your chip reader and thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot. That definitly shouldn't be happening. 🤔

There are a few more pairing troubleshooting tips in our Support Center that may resolve this right away — you'll want to double check that your reader is fully charged, Bluetooth is turned on, and that you have a strong internet connection. Have a look here for more information: My Reader won’t pair with my device.

If you're still encountering this issue after giving it another try with those steps in mind, please let our Support Team know or reply here with any other details on what's going on. Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 97
96 REPLIES 96
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Mysnailsandme, welcome to the seller community!

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your chip reader and thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot. That definitly shouldn't be happening. 🤔

There are a few more pairing troubleshooting tips in our Support Center that may resolve this right away — you'll want to double check that your reader is fully charged, Bluetooth is turned on, and that you have a strong internet connection. Have a look here for more information: My Reader won’t pair with my device.

If you're still encountering this issue after giving it another try with those steps in mind, please let our Support Team know or reply here with any other details on what's going on. Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 97

I’ve had the same issue. My contactless device suddenly stopped pairing. It’s flashing 4 orange lights then nothing happens. I’ve tried a hard reset, signing in and out. It’s fully charged. I need it to work. Very frustrating. Please help. 

Kat 🙏🏻♥️

Message 3 of 97
Alumni

Hey @Blackdogyoga - If the troubleshooting steps didn't work for you, give our CS team a shout and they can take a closer look to see where the issue might be stemming from.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 97

Blackdogyoga, SAME what was the solution?

Message 5 of 97
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @FunnyChannel

If you have also completed the troubleshooting steps to pair your Contactless and Chip Reader. Then I suggest you contact our support team as every case will have its own nuances and our team is ready to help get you up and running.

Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 97

My wireless card reader stopped working. It is not new, and it was working yesterday. I keep getting an error message of "Failed to Pair Square Point of Sale dialed to pair with Contactless Chip (xxxx). Press and hold the power button until the lights continuously flash red." I removed the reader from bluetooth and from square. Any suggestions?

Message 7 of 97

Hi there, @Astev21778 - thanks for reaching out and letting us know about this. So sorry for the trouble!

I've merged you post into a similar thread of Sellers who were also experiencing issues with their Contactless & Chip Reader. We recommend taking a look at Tom's Best Answer for troubleshooting steps - they should get you back in business.

Let me know if that solved it for you! We are here to help.

Joe
Message 8 of 97

@Astev21778 

Disconnect from WiFi/Bluetooth leave off overnight.

This should resolve it.

If there is an I remedial fault, an error message advising of this will present.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 97

Thanks for offering some helpful tips, @ASH77 🙌😎

Joe
Message 10 of 97

‘Unremedial’

Message 11 of 97
Beta Member

thank you for the info on turning off Bluetooth and wifi because this resolved my issue.  I only had to turn off and back on for it to work, didn't need to leave them off overnight.  

Message 12 of 97

Worked!! Thanks

Message 13 of 97

I am also experiencing the same issue.

I was using the reader last week and now it will not connect. Have tried ALL the trouble shooting steps for the reader, the app and the device.

As per below, the yellow lights were flashing I got the "Failed to Pair" error.

Trying again and now it won't even get that far.

Need some quick assists as I am unable to take payments today. Causing some issues. Any ideas?

Message 14 of 97

@TweedCandC  Every time you try any of the solutions, be sure to restart your phone or tablet. This will save any changes on the app and your phone. 

The only other solution I've tried that works is to let the square battery go completely flat and then recharge. The only way you can do this and still have eftpos is to have a second square as a backup spare, I've always had two in case one stops working. And I rotate each one every few days. 

Message 15 of 97

My contactless chip reader is not accepting payments due to location. How can I get this fixed?

Message 16 of 97
Admin

Hey @Ck3-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

What do you mean by not working due to location? I want to make sure we get this figured out, so please reply back with a bit more information on what error message you're seeing. 

In the meantime please take a look at the best answer in this thread. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 17 of 97

After I had swiped my clients card a message came up and said that it was declined due to location. 

Message 18 of 97
Admin

Okay. Where are you located @Ck3?

I would also suggest updating your device's software. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 19 of 97

We live on a navy base in Naples Italy 

Message 20 of 97
Admin

Hey @Ck3-

That makes sense that it wouldn't be working then. You can only accept payments while in the country that you created your Square account in. If you want to process payments with Square, you'll have to do it while in the United States. 

Sorry about that! 😔

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 21 of 97