x

Contactless and chip reader not pairing

My contactless chip reader won't pair with my iPad anymore. I've tried uninstalling the square app and reinstalling it. I've restarted my iPad and everything is on the latest update. But when I try to pair the orange lights just keep flashing but never connects. The same thing happens when I try to connect to the app on my iPhone.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 97
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: My

Have you completed any troubleshooting yet, @kmehos33?

Start here!

If you still need a hand, our support team can walk you through the steps over the phone.

Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Mysnailsandme, welcome to the seller community!

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your chip reader and thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot. That definitly shouldn't be happening. 🤔

There are a few more pairing troubleshooting tips in our Support Center that may resolve this right away — you'll want to double check that your reader is fully charged, Bluetooth is turned on, and that you have a strong internet connection. Have a look here for more information: My Reader won’t pair with my device.

If you're still encountering this issue after giving it another try with those steps in mind, please let our Support Team know or reply here with any other details on what's going on. Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 97
96 REPLIES 96
Alumni

@Mmammo sounds like the appointments app either needs updating or reinstalling since the reader is working with the standard POS app. 

Let me know if that doesn't help.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 85 of 97

I’ve had the same problem.

I was told to click on forget this device to reboot the whole deal. Well I did that and now my phone won’t even recognize the card reader to pair it up.

This has happened to me with two card readers 

Message 86 of 97
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @knollfarms - if you are continuing to experience issues related to your Contactless & Chip Card reader, we would recommend reaching out to our Support Team directly for further troubleshooting.

Joe
Message 87 of 97

Same here - orange flashing lights - will not pair - Error Code

Message 88 of 97

Hey @rogerbubel,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to our community 👋

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Square Reader! Have you had a chance to go through these troubleshooting steps yet? 

Message 89 of 97

I have also uninstalled square, and re downloaded app. It keeps telling me...failed to pair!

Robert A McDougal
Message 90 of 97
Alumni

Sorry to see trouble has brought you to the Seller Community - have you ensured that your device itself is up-to-date, @rewjr?

These additional troubleshooting steps will help if you run though them!

If you've already gone through all of them, try the reset.

Feel free to give us a call if you would like our Support team to run through the steps with you.
You can reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Valentina
Message 91 of 97

Android tablet won't recognize the Reader. It indicates that the earphone's in, but it says to connect the reader.

Message 92 of 97
Alumni

Have you completed any troubleshooting yet, @kmehos33?

Start here!

If you still need a hand, our support team can walk you through the steps over the phone.

Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 93 of 97

I've attempted all of the trouble shooting protocols, removed the app then added it again. Its fully chageed. I tried a hard reset. If anyone has any help it would be much appreciated

Message 94 of 97

Thanks for going through these troubleshooting steps already, @Cameron4! Which device are you pairing your reader to, e.g an iOS, or Android device? 

Message 95 of 97

My Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra won't pair with my square 

Message 96 of 97

Hi @BWright93 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention.

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this topic as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

I checked our Device Compatibility page and found that your Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra is compatible with the Contactless + Chip Reader. Please follow the instructions listed here for pairing your reader. Keep in mind: You'll be pairing the reader directly through the Square app, not your phone's Bluetooth settings.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 97 of 97