x
Beta Member

Cookies popup/strange url!

I have a real issue with the cookie popup. It currently shows as:

This site uses cookies to personalize your experience, analyze site usage, and offer tailored promotions. www.youronlinechoices.eu 

Such a strange URL and I hate the fact we're linking through to that website when we're paying for a service on here. I contacted support and asked if there was a way to customise this, assuming there would be. But they say there isn't. I've had a lot of feedback off my customers that this just looks suspicious and makes them feel that our website isn't safe for purchasing, even though i assure them it is. Does this affect anyone else? Seems so silly that something so small cant be customised. 

Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @maryamyram, @100Hours, @Sam_400ยบ and @PeteC, thank you for all your feedback on this. I just want to follow-up and let you know how to manage your cookie notice.

You can add a Cookie Notice yourself using a 3rd-party Cookie Notice provider of your choice, such as One Trust. You'll be able to add this from your Square Online site > Website > Integrations.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 18.05.59.png

With the new banner, when a customer enters the site, the cookie preference will be the first thing they see. They'll need to make their cookie preference choices before they are able to navigate the site and place their orders. The 3rd-party Cookie Notice provider will also be able to help with blocking types of cookies that a customer does not consent to.

You can read more about adding Cookie Notices here. Let me know if you have any question and I'll be happy to help!

This post was edited on 22 December to include additional information.

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Hi @maryamyram, thank you for reaching out!

From checking with our team, we cannot customise the banner as it needs to be there for GDPR reasons. The link is simply there to give customers more information about how data are collected. 

Tra
Message 2 of 12
Super Seller

@maryamyram It's not caused any concern issues for me or any of my customers. I think everyone is so used to seeing GDPR pop ups theses days! 

@tranguyen there is another issue with it though. With it at the bottom it makes you click to get rid of it when it covers something (when entering your checkout details as an example). It then forces the page to reload - loosing information that a customer has just entered! (also happens on the weebly management pages too)

Could really do with it not reloading the page or have the option to move it to the top so it's either not in the way of entering order info or it'd dismissed by the customer a bit earlier in the process. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 3 of 12
Admin

I know you mean, @Sam_400ยบ. Let me check in with the team and see if there is a way to change the flow so that accepting the cookies won't reload the page every time and remove all the information. 

Tra
Message 4 of 12

I think there's a complete lack of options here.

For a start why does it have to read

"This site uses cookies to personalize your experience, analyze site usage, and offer tailored promotions. www.youronlinechoices.eu"

If you take that alone why not change it to something more like.
"[Site name] uses cookies to personalize your experience, analyze site usage, and offer tailored promotions. Click here for more information."

and link the click here to www.youronlinechoices.eu

This would help remove the concern @maryamyram has whilst helping to promote peoples branding a little by having the site name in there.

Why do we not have a little more control here?

such as:

• Link this to our own privacy policy and not some external website.
  • Move the banner to other locations. e.g. top of page or as a popup. This may help with @Sam_400ยบ issue
  • Change text/background colour
  • Add a reject button so at least the end user has the ability to remove the banner
  • The ability to disable it completely? so we have the option of implementing something like cookiebot (https://www.cookiebot.com/en/)

Moving on from that. The bit i'm really confused about is how users of our sites withdraw their consent?

My understanding is this is a legal requirement putting all square online in breach of laws.

"Once consent has been obtained, users or subscribers are able to withdraw that consent at any time. You should therefore ensure that your consent mechanism has the technical capability to allow users to withdraw their consent with the same ease that they gave it, otherwise it will not be compliant with the GDPRโ€™s consent requirements."

Quoted from: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/guidance-on-the-use-of-cookies-and-similar-techno...

What I would like here is something like section that details all cookies, their function and the ability for the end user to withdraw 
consent. I could then add this section to my privacy policy or a cookie declaration page etc and then link to it in the footer of my site.

Message 5 of 12

I agree with all of the above, not only is it ugly and confusing compared to other cookie messages out there, there is no option to opt out of certain cookies. 

Is Weebly/ Square collecting all cookies or the bare minimum? As a user, I opt out of as much as I can and I don't like the fact that I am not giving customers that option. 

This is a major issue for me and I'm looking at cancelling my subscription because of it. 

Message 6 of 12

Its really concerning at the lack of weebly/square response here. Now i'm no legal or privacy expert but it seems to me anyone using this service from the EU is braking the law by breaching GDPR requirements and webly/square as our provider clearly don't care.

It's not like GDPR is something new and as a managed service as a minimum I would expect to see the tools available to enable us to be fully compliant.

Weebly/square: Please Please stop all other development and fix this so we have the correct tools at our disposal so we are not breaking the law or provide some clarity on how wrong I am with the relevant information.

Message 7 of 12
Admin

Just to add here that we are checking with the engineering team about how this will function/will look and we'll post another update soon. We wanted to share this in the meantime. Please keep sharing your feedback! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @maryamyram, @100Hours, @Sam_400ยบ and @PeteC, thank you for all your feedback on this. I just want to follow-up and let you know how to manage your cookie notice.

You can add a Cookie Notice yourself using a 3rd-party Cookie Notice provider of your choice, such as One Trust. You'll be able to add this from your Square Online site > Website > Integrations.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 18.05.59.png

With the new banner, when a customer enters the site, the cookie preference will be the first thing they see. They'll need to make their cookie preference choices before they are able to navigate the site and place their orders. The 3rd-party Cookie Notice provider will also be able to help with blocking types of cookies that a customer does not consent to.

You can read more about adding Cookie Notices here. Let me know if you have any question and I'll be happy to help!

This post was edited on 22 December to include additional information.

Tra
Message 9 of 12
Super Seller

@tranguyen is this going to solve the problem of having a crappy banner that covers important parts of the site & forces a page refresh if/when clicked? 

from reading the link - there are only necessary & functional cookies, so there should be no opt out as these are needed to use the site & for it to function. 

couldnโ€™t we just just have an information banner that informs that the site uses functional cookies & that is easily dismissed without reloading everything? 

As it currently is the way that cookies work screws around  with pop ups etc too - so just having some different text in there doesnโ€™t solve the issues.

Pizza Is Chill

Message 10 of 12
Admin

Hey @Sam_400ยบ, I'm actually still waiting for some additional clarification from the team regarding how this will work with the refresh.

From looking into this so far because you can select your desired template from a 3rd-party Cookie Notice provider, you should be able to select where you want the banner to be which can help with making sure it doesn't cover over important part of the site. You can check out OneTrust Cookie Banner Gallery for example

It's quite a new feature and there are a few things I'd like to understand better myself, so once I have more information from the team I'll be sure to share it here as well. 

Tra
Message 11 of 12
Admin

Hi @Sam_400ยบ, I just want to follow up on this again! 

This should help with the refresh issue you mentioned, but let me know if you have any other question and I'll be happy to look into it further!

Tra
Message 12 of 12