x

Creating new item with GTIN not working

Not had a problem with this until now -

new item comes in and I want to add it to the system, so I scan the barcode, the system tells me no such product would i like to add it, I input the new information, but when I go to save the item, the system tells me that the GTIN (barcode) number must be 8, 12, 13 or 14 digits long and contain only numbers, when I check its got 14 numbers and nothing else????

Tried it with a few items just to make sure its not just the one product, but can't get passed it?

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

The photos aren't loading @CampingMan, unfortunately. 

In this case, I would suggest giving our support team so that we can figure this out as soon as possible. 

They can try and replicate this on our end to see what's happening. 

I scanned a couple of books myself and didn't have any issues, so we'll take a closer look here. 

Our number is  0800 - 098 8008, 9AM- 5PM, Mon-Fri. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hi @CampingMan, thanks for flagging this.

That does sound off, GTINs are typically 8, 12, 13 or 14 digits long, so it sounds like everything is correct with the items that you are scanning. 

Can you let me know the following information so that I can take a closer look here? 

- Are you scanning on the Square for Retail app or the Square Register?  Can you check that no software updates are pending on either? 

- Can you test an item and make sure there are no spaces at either end when starting to scan the item 

- Were similar items previously scanned and created or is this your first time trying? 

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for your response. 

Breffni
Message 2 of 4

Im in the retail app.

see photos attached this is now the same for any new product I try to add, this one the system even finds the product information from the barcode but still won't save it.

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Best Answer

The photos aren't loading @CampingMan, unfortunately. 

In this case, I would suggest giving our support team so that we can figure this out as soon as possible. 

They can try and replicate this on our end to see what's happening. 

I scanned a couple of books myself and didn't have any issues, so we'll take a closer look here. 

Our number is  0800 - 098 8008, 9AM- 5PM, Mon-Fri. 

Breffni
Message 4 of 4