x

Customer display disconnected after reboot

The customer display does not always reconnect after the nightly re-boot. The register screen shows Display disconnected on the top and the customer display just has the Square logo and is unresponsive. A manual re-boot usually clears the issue. This occurs at random on both of our registers. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Message 1 of 36
2 Best Answers

Best Answer

This update was applied to both of my registers early monrning on May 27th. I have not had this problem on either of the registers since then. It appears the fix was successful!  The updated software is 5.17.xxxx. if you would like to check if it was applied.

View Best Answer >

Message 15 of 36
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @pchrisb  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Square Register has brought you to the Seller Community😥

The nightly updates will update the Seller Display of your Register but to update the Customer Display, you'll need to complete a factory reset. You can follow along with the instructions listed here under the "reset your register" section. It may take one or two factory resets to install the most recent updates, depending on the last time the Customer Display was updated.

Please let me know if the factory reset helps! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 👀

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 34 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Super Seller

@KC_Philthanks for your post. I also experience this and have no answer/solution other than what you are currently doing...rebooting and then it's corrected. I tried to disconnect/reconnect the extension cable I use for the customer facing screen but that doesn't fix it. Other users here have said they have success with disengaging the customer screen from being attached to the front of the register, and re-inputting it and they report this sometimes fixes rather than doing a reboot.

Message 2 of 36

Having the same problem here for about a week now. I've even had the customer display disconnect/reconnect during a transaction.

Message 3 of 36

We have the same problem. I find we have to reboot 2 times now to get it to reconnect. 

Message 4 of 36

Once usually does it for us, but yesterday it took two reboots to reconnect.

Message 5 of 36
Beta Member

Same problem here.  I have to restart Square several times to get it connected.

Message 6 of 36

Reached out to support and this is what they suggested. The customer display would not reconnect until I re-booted the register. Also you may want to make note of some of your settings before doing the factory reset, like device code, printer-receipts-man or auto, display timeout, signature and receipt, and customer management.

I did this procedure on just one of our registers, will reply back on if it made a difference or not.

Thank you for reaching out, my name is Dalorrein with the customer success team. I will be more than happy to help you.

When you have a chance can you do a factory reset, this will make it like it's out of the box again so you will have to set up wifi again, sign in to your account again, if you have printers or cash drawer you will have to set that back up, along with any special settings you had.

Go to the main menu and select support - troubleshooting - do both upload ledger and run the diagnostic report. once they are complete go to settings and hardware - go to general- scroll up select about register- scroll up and you will see the factory reset option.

Once the register reboots the customer display should do an update, after the display updates the register will say its disconnected. you will need to disconnect the display and reconnect it you may have to do that twice.

Message 7 of 36

The suggested fix did nothing to resolve this issue.  The display was disconnected this morning and required a re-boot to get it reconnected, same as before the fix.

Message 8 of 36

Excellent.  We are having the same issue with our POS card reader.  Keep us updated!

Message 9 of 36

I informed support that the factory reset did not help. Their response was to check the cables and then do a restart.. 😞  They also advised to call them at 1-855-700-6000 for further assistance. I would encourage anyone who is having this issue to also contact them, maybe they will start working on a fix.

Message 10 of 36

Spoke with tech support this morning, they have a software update coming out this week that they believe will resolve this issue. Current register version is 5.15.0055, I think she said the new one is 5.17.xxxx  Should be installed with the nightly reboot. Please post here if you are still having the issue after the new version is applied.

Message 11 of 36

Yes I have been having same issue on 2 of the 3 registers.  Today I had to restart/reboot 5 times and I have unplugged everything while off and then wait 30 secs then plug base and display back in then I power it up.  This has been happening for about 3 weeks.  PLEASE do NEW UPDATE today!! HELP 

Philip G

Message 12 of 36

2 weeks later and the issue is still not corrected for me sadly. 

Message 13 of 36

Hello @XQUIZIT and @Motte 

Our engineers have worked on a fix that should be received today or tomorrow. Please make sure that your Registers are up-to-date to make sure this fix is applied. 

JJ
Message 14 of 36

Best Answer

This update was applied to both of my registers early monrning on May 27th. I have not had this problem on either of the registers since then. It appears the fix was successful!  The updated software is 5.17.xxxx. if you would like to check if it was applied.

Message 15 of 36

how do you update

Message 16 of 36

See General section at the top, but should review the whole page.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6180-square-register-troubleshooting

I believe they are supposed to also update themselves at around 3am. Checks daily at 3am.

Message 17 of 36

Hi there @mystical-heart and @cashxx 👋

The nightly updates will update the Seller Display of your Register but to update the Customer Display, you'll need to complete a factory reset. You can follow along with the instructions listed here under the "reset your register" section. It may take one or two factory resets to install the most recent updates, depending on the last time the Customer Display was updated.

Please let me know if the factory reset helps! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 👀

Violet
Message 18 of 36

Yes. I have seen this.  In fact after many many reboots my display is still not working.  

Message 19 of 36

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat, @greatbricklab!

In terms of general troubleshooting, we've included these steps in the comments above. If you've tried these and the issue still persists, the next step would be to reach out to our Support Team directly so they can take an in-depth look at your device with you.

You can get in touch with our Support Team by calling 1-855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time, Monday - Friday. 

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 20 of 36

I have been working with support and they sent a replacement usb cable that that still did not resolve my issue.   I we have factory reset about 3 times, and reboot many many times.   Were able to get it working for about 3o seconds,   could this have something to do with the image we have loaded on it?   Is there a back door way to format just the customer display?   

I have resorted to buying a replacement unit.  This is slowing us down and I need to get this resolved.

Message 21 of 36