x

Declined payment

I just ran a transaction for a customer and payment went thru just fine as normal. Since the customer has several separate invoices to pay, I "Saved Card to Customer" to speed up the next and all future transactions. Tried to run the next charge and it was declined. Tried several times and all declined. Deleted customer info. Still declined.

Ran a different charge for different customer and charge was approved.

Went back to the previous customer and tried to run transaction. Declined.

Is this a credit card company issue or a Square issue??

BTW, the 2 different cards above are from the same credit card company issued to my clients company (2 different locations).

PLEASE HELP!  

Message 1 of 28
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Scorpionsign

While I can't speak to the exact payment itself since this is a public forum, in general, declines would come from the card issuing bank side.

For the most part, the only time Square would decline a payment would be due to incorrect card information being entered. Square requires all of the card information (card number, postal code, security code, and expiration date) to be 100% accurate as opposed to other card processors who only require partial accuracy. 

I'd recommend the customer giving their bank a call to make sure the information they gave you is 100% accurate. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 28
Alumni

Best Answer

There are a number of reasons why a card may decline, @Lisdalisse.

It sounds like you were trying to run your own personal card to make a purchase within your Square account - am I understanding correctly? Or was this a customers' card? If you get in touch with our team by phone, they should be able to shine a light here.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Best Answer

Hi @Scorpionsign

While I can't speak to the exact payment itself since this is a public forum, in general, declines would come from the card issuing bank side.

For the most part, the only time Square would decline a payment would be due to incorrect card information being entered. Square requires all of the card information (card number, postal code, security code, and expiration date) to be 100% accurate as opposed to other card processors who only require partial accuracy. 

I'd recommend the customer giving their bank a call to make sure the information they gave you is 100% accurate. 

Message 2 of 28

Hi, one of my customers have a problem with online payment. His card always return a GENERIC_DECLINE but no others informations about error. His card is valid.

"errors": [{"code": "GENERIC_DECLINE","detail": "Authorization error: 'GENERIC_DECLINE'","category": "PAYMENT_METHOD_ERROR"}]

"status": "FAILED","delay_duration": "PT168H","source_type": "CARD","card_details": {"status": "FAILED","card": {"card_brand": "MASTERCARD","card_type": "CREDIT","prepaid_type": "NOT_PREPAID","bin": "557962"},"entry_method": "KEYED","cvv_status": "CVV_ACCEPTED","avs_status": "AVS_ACCEPTED","errors": [{"code": "GENERIC_DECLINE","detail": "Authorization error: 'GENERIC_DECLINE'","category": "PAYMENT_METHOD_ERROR"

Does anyone have an idea why this error occurs ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
Message 3 of 28

Hi there, @typoc 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding information on declines. Take a look at this Best Answer from EJ - it will point you to some helpful tips and next steps.

Let us know if anything else comes up! We are here to help.

Joe
Message 4 of 28

I'm getting same error like 

{"errors":[{"category":"PAYMENT_METHOD_ERROR","code":"GENERIC_DECLINE","detail":"Authorization error: 'GENERIC_DECLINE'"}]}

even all my credit card details are correct but still i'm getting this error and i am not able to make payment using my card but when i am purchase order with square it's worked 

so what's exactly problem is?

Is bussiness_hours effect while purchasing order?

Message 5 of 28

Hey @prince22,

While we're not able to look into why a transaction might have been declined, it looks like your Square Account may not be activated for card payment processing yet, which is a requirement to accept card payments. This article may help you go through this step. Please let us know how you go!

Message 6 of 28
Beta Member

I have the same issue. I try 2 different cards and it was declined. checked with the bank and everything its ok. And just now before I write this I bought something from you guys on the square shop with the card that is been declining and just been approved. So its not the card and its not the bank. please some one can help with this issue. Thanks

Message 7 of 28
Alumni

Best Answer

There are a number of reasons why a card may decline, @Lisdalisse.

It sounds like you were trying to run your own personal card to make a purchase within your Square account - am I understanding correctly? Or was this a customers' card? If you get in touch with our team by phone, they should be able to shine a light here.

Valentina
Message 8 of 28

So the credit went thru when the customer did tap to pay then the customer called and tried to do another transaction over the phone which I guess the didn’t have the correct billing zip code we tried to do tap and pay the next day but that also declined but there bank said that there’s nothing wrong on there end 

Message 9 of 28

Hi @Dvine1,

I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 

While we can't look into specific transactions via this public forum, there are multiple reasons a card can be declined. Some examples would be a mismatch in the information entered, a blocked card, and insufficient funds, just to name a few. If you're seeing more instances of declined cards across multiple cards, feel free to reach out to our support team to take a closer look here

Message 10 of 28

My customers cards are being decline everytime i swap their card

Message 11 of 28

Why is every card declining? I enter the correct information and funds are available in the accounts.

Message 12 of 28

Hi @Leanna86

I've moved your post over to this existing thread. Check out the Best Answer for more information. 

Message 13 of 28

My first transactions using the square card reader and manually entering in the cards keep declining when I know these cards have funds on them. I have even used my own personal debit card with funds on the card.

Did I miss a step in setting up my Square app? Is this related to the technical difficulties square seems to be having right now? Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

If anyone can help provide insight on to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it! This has been a HUGE inconvenience considering this is the first day offically starting my business. 

Thank you for your time.

Message 14 of 28

Hi @SarahBeth! Welcome to the Community.

I merged your post to an existing thread that goes over card declines.

We can't see into your account here from the Community but declines usually come from the bank or card issuer's end unless the information was just entered wrong which wouldn't be the case since you were using the reader.

If you're testing with your own card- it'd be best to test for $1 only since technically you're not supposed to run your own card through Point of Sale in our Terms of Service. 

I'd recommend calling the card issuer to see why the declines were happening since those come from their end. 

Ashley C
Message 15 of 28

I have similar issues. I hope you were able get help on it.For some reasons am having this difficulty too. please help

Message 16 of 28
Admin

Hey @jsauto-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Please email our Support Team so they can look into this for you. We cannot assist with account/payment specific issues from here. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 17 of 28

Hi @Abdiwahid9892

I've moved your post to this existing thread. Check out the Best Answer and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Message 18 of 28

All of my customers payments to my website arre being declined and it is not a problem with their banks because i can do the transaction manually. I need help ASAP because my customers are complaining.

Message 19 of 28

Hey @HYF,

I moved your post to an existing thread around declined payments.

See EJ's best answer above for more details!

Ashley C
Message 20 of 28

We have a custom store that we recently switched from Paypal to Square. The Square API is working for most people. We have a few users, however, who are experiecing "Generic Decline" error messages no matter what card they use. One reported that the problem went away after switching from Firefox to Chrome.

We also have a few users who get "CVV" errors no matter the card they try. Some have reported success when they try a different computer.

Any ideas?

Message 21 of 28