x

Declined payment

I just ran a transaction for a customer and payment went thru just fine as normal. Since the customer has several separate invoices to pay, I "Saved Card to Customer" to speed up the next and all future transactions. Tried to run the next charge and it was declined. Tried several times and all declined. Deleted customer info. Still declined.

Ran a different charge for different customer and charge was approved.

Went back to the previous customer and tried to run transaction. Declined.

Is this a credit card company issue or a Square issue??

BTW, the 2 different cards above are from the same credit card company issued to my clients company (2 different locations).

PLEASE HELP!  

Message 1 of 28
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Scorpionsign

While I can't speak to the exact payment itself since this is a public forum, in general, declines would come from the card issuing bank side.

For the most part, the only time Square would decline a payment would be due to incorrect card information being entered. Square requires all of the card information (card number, postal code, security code, and expiration date) to be 100% accurate as opposed to other card processors who only require partial accuracy. 

I'd recommend the customer giving their bank a call to make sure the information they gave you is 100% accurate. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 28
Alumni

Best Answer

There are a number of reasons why a card may decline, @Lisdalisse.

It sounds like you were trying to run your own personal card to make a purchase within your Square account - am I understanding correctly? Or was this a customers' card? If you get in touch with our team by phone, they should be able to shine a light here.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Hey @dirjud! Welcome to the Seller Community.

I merged your post with an existing thread on declined payments.

Typically declines do come from the bank or card issuer- but it's odd that you say a difference of browsers made it go through.

It may be best to contact our CS Team directly so we can look on the backend to see if we can see the type of decline it is to know for sure. 

Ashley C
Message 22 of 28

you have told many that you've merged their comment with another thread, but dontprovide a link. where is this thread?

Message 23 of 28

Hey there, @soultech76

Here is the link to the thread you requested: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Declined-payment/td-p/66145/page/2

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 24 of 28

Oh so this is the thread u moved it to?

Has someone found the cause of issue cause im dealing with it now

Message 25 of 28

@soultech76

The info @ashc provided is still the resolution for the generic decline, unfortunately. 

Thank you for reaching out about it! 

Kassi
Message 26 of 28

We are having the same issue here. And I must say I think it is ridiculous with so many having the same issue and you move all the comments to the same section with directing us to the bank. My customer has tried 3 times and called her bank twice. I also tried to order once and my payment went through and then i tried again ordering more items (just to check the transaction) and my payment was declined. There is something a miss and it is not the bank cards we are using.

Message 27 of 28
Beta Member

I have similar issues. I hope you were able get help on it. My client cal lthe bank everything its good. I try my self with my credit card and it was decline. Please I need Help.

Message 28 of 28