x

Discount Doesn't Work

Hi,

I am trying to create a discount but it looks like the second part of the discount doesn't save. 

"Apply £24.99 discount to each eligible item" I click edit rule then chose "Exact Quantity" but the discount doesn't calculate at the checkout. Any suggestions? 

See screenshot Untitled.png

Message 1 of 20
Report Inappropriate Content
19 REPLIES 19
Admin

Hi @Agnie, sorry to hear you are running into an issue setting up discount! I can definitely have a look into this for you - would you mind sending a full screenshot show how the rules are setup? That way, I can try to replicate it on my end and see where the issue might be. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 20

Hi,

I am trying to make a discount for multiple items but at the checkout, it does not work. 

I have selected several items that could be bought in 3s and the price would be £24.99, I believe I edited the rule correctly but it is still doesn't work. Any ideas why?

I am attaching screenshots of the steps made

step 1.png

Step 1 I selected the items that are eligible for the discount. 

step 2.png

Step 2 Edited the rule to be based on quantity (3 items must be selected to be eligible for the £24.99 price).

step 3.png

Step 3 - chose the discount type "Exact Quantity". Saved the rule and at the check out it does not work. 

Message 3 of 20
Admin

Thanks so much for sending these screenshots @Agnie! I test this out on my end and I think the issue is because the discount amount (£24.99) is greater than the price for all the items included in the list, so when you go to check out, the discount won't be the full £24,99 and it'll instead be the item's price. is that what you are seeing?

If so, can you let me know how you'd like the discount to work ideally? That way, I can test it out on my end and see what might be the best alternative here!

Tra
Message 4 of 20
Beta Member

I don’t think this is really a discount. The person is saying buy 3 and the price will be £24.99 I believe so, if a discount, it would be variable to bring the price down to £24.99

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 5 of 20

the buyer can buy either one for a normal price or three but discounted, I am not looking to discount separate items, I am looking to encourage people to add more to the cart so the purchase would be attractive to customers based on price

Message 6 of 20

Hi,

yes I am seeing just the regular total price for 3 items. What I mean to do is if the customer adds 3 items then the total for the items would be £24.99 so the total value is not smaller than the items themselves. £24.99 is for three items 

Message 7 of 20
Beta Member

Hi @Agnie How would you want to deal with the customer adding more than 3?

Message 8 of 20

Not really, because there is an option in the rule to choose the discount based on exact quantity, which in my case is 3.  I am also not seeing why the rule does not work. If my cheapest item is let's say 11.99 and the person adds 3 of those, the total would be $35.97 but if the discount worked the discounted total would be £24.99.

If the person added more than 3 that means the discount applied for 3 items and the 4th would be full price. Same as two for one, buy one get one free, etc. 

Message 9 of 20
Beta Member

Hi @Agnie    I understand exactly what you are trying to achieve but a discount reduces the total BY an amount or percentage whereas you are you are expecting it to reduce the total TO an amount (£24.99) which I don’t think it can do. Perhaps @tranguyen can confirm that I am correct in this.

Message 10 of 20

Aha, ok, I get it now. But now I tried to just put 30% off if the customer buys 3 items but still it doesn't work at the checkout. 

Message 11 of 20
Beta Member

Okay, in that case I’ll need to pass this on to @tranguyen 

Message 12 of 20

Hi, my ideal way was to have the price deducted to £24.99 to any 3 items on the list in the screenshot. 

Now I understand that this is not possible, so I tried to amend the rule so a 30% discount would apply if the buyer selects any 3 items from the list in the screenshot but it also does not work. Any ideas what am I doing wrong? 

Message 13 of 20
Admin

Thanks so much for stepping in @tonydow

Sorry to hear the discount is still giving you trouble @Agnie! Would you mind sending me a screenshot of what you are seeing in your basket? The discount should definitely be calculated and applied once you added 3 of the same items or 3 items from the list to your sale on the Square Point of Sale app. Once I have the screenshot, I can definitely check in with my team and see if there's anything I might have missed. 

Tra
Message 14 of 20

Hi,

So I put the discount %, state how many items (3), add products which are eligible, save it, then select 'exact quantity'. And at the checkout, it does not work

Step 1

step 1.png

Step 2

step 2.png

Message 15 of 20
Admin

Thanks so much for those screenshot @Agnie! If possible, do you have screenshot of the checkout page where all the eligible items have been added but the discount still do not apply? The team would like to have that screenshot for their investigation as well. 

Tra
Message 16 of 20

Surecheckout.png

Message 17 of 20
Admin

Thanks so much for the screenshot! This is actually a limitation with the Square Online site at the moment. Right now, discounts do not sync to the Square Online site. They will only work when you are processing a sale using the Square Point of Sale app

To offer discounts with the Online site, you'd need to create a coupon/voucher code have set it to apply to a specific item or if the order is over a certain amount.

Another workaround around be to make separate bundle items e.g. "3 for 1" with the discounted price.

Our team are always working to improve our Products and I hope to share an update in the near future. 

Tra
Message 18 of 20

Hi,

by processing a sale using the app you mean that I have to charge the person with the app in order for the discount to work? But I am in the e-commerce business I have never met any of my clients so that makes this feature a bit useless to me

Message 19 of 20
Admin

I completely understand, @Agnie! Unfortunately that's a limitation with the Square Online site at the moment. 

Although you won't be able to use the discount rules with online sales, there are some alternatives to offer discounts still. You can create a coupon/voucher code and set it to apply to a specific item or if the order is over a certain amount.

Another workaround around be to make separate bundle items e.g. "3 for 1" with the discounted price.

Tra
Message 20 of 20