x
Beta Member

Discount: How do I fully restrict discounts?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Discounts

Hi there, 

I have several 'restricted discounts' which require a passcode to use, and one discount that all employees can use freely. This works completely fine if an item is added to the order and then they try to apply the discount through the discount button. If they try to use one of the restricted discounts they are prompted for a manager code in order to proceed 

However, it seems that employees can completely circumvent this by adding an item to an order and then editing the item within the cart - this gives the normal options of: dining options, taxes on/off, quantity, and also discounts. It lists all of the system's discounts, and allows any of them to be freely applied without prompting a code. An employee without managerial access can fully comp a ticket by simply editing the items on the ticket, even though the comp button otherwise would prompt them for a code. 

I trust my employees, but I do want to ensure that restricted discounts retain their restriction. 

I have had several incidents in which employees discounted items using the Manager COMP instead of the employee discount, and intentionally or accidently, were able to do so without a prompt. This is a HUGE issue and I can't see anyway to fully restrict these discounts. 

Am i missing anything or is this just a big oversight on the discount coding?

Best,

Trevor

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @tchudson and thank you for your post. This certainly shouldn't be happening. Can you confirm that you have toggled on the passcode requirement from the Discounts section of your online Square Dashboard? To do this: 

1. Sign in to your Dashboard.
  2. Navigate to the Items > click Discounts.
  3. Click on a discount > toggle Passcode Required on.
  4. Click Save.

If your employees are still somehow able to apply discounts after you've checked your Discount settings please give us a call so we can investigate this further! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @tchudson and thank you for your post. This certainly shouldn't be happening. Can you confirm that you have toggled on the passcode requirement from the Discounts section of your online Square Dashboard? To do this: 

1. Sign in to your Dashboard.
  2. Navigate to the Items > click Discounts.
  3. Click on a discount > toggle Passcode Required on.
  4. Click Save.

If your employees are still somehow able to apply discounts after you've checked your Discount settings please give us a call so we can investigate this further! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 12

I am having the same problem - I have multiple discounts set to require a passcode, and the system never asks for the passcode. I have passcode use enabled in settings at all the required places. It is strange because the POS used to require the passcode for discounts appropriately. 

Message 3 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CCF-a I'm so sorry to hear about this issue with your discounts not requiring passcodes. Is this happening with every single discount that requires a passcode, or only a few? Also, have you been able to check your employee permissions to make sure they don't have "Apply restricted discounts and comps to a transaction" enabled as well?

Thanks in advance!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 12

Were you ever able to figure this out?  I just created a new discount, made sure to toggle the "require passcode" feature, and it doesn't ask for the passcode.  It's really frustrating.  I'm applying the discount within the item, not as a discount on the entire ticket.  That may be the issue with the coding not working correctly?  Thanks!

Message 5 of 12
Admin

@tinafoundation

Do you have your Team Permissions enabled?

You will need to enable those in the App in order to create the prompt for the Passcode.

To enable the Passcode in App > Navigate to your Settings Menu > Security > Passcodes > and toggle this option to On

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 6 of 12

I've created many discounts for our loyal members and now I don't see how to adjust the passcodes for these discounts as I usually update them every month and give them limited use. This option is no longer available. When I click the "passcode required" toggle, the usual options to apply/change the passcode, applicable date and enter # of uses is not there. 

How do I update or create passcodes for discounts?

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

Hey @Winer !

Hmm, I'm not aware of any changes made to the discount password option. Usually the applicable date option appears when automatic discounts is enabled. The number of uses is a settings available with Online Store Coupons. 

Let me double check with my Team first to confirm. Thanks for your patience. 

Justin
Message 8 of 12

Quite frustrated. Contacted CS online because the on phone wait time was over 20min. They just pushed me to call... why have online support?

From Square Support, August 10,  01:33 PM

... after explaining that I used to have access to update/create discount codes that are used in online store AND POS...

Jo, 01:43 PM
I am very sorry to hear that you are having issues with your site. It sounds like we should get you connected to our Online Store team. They're available over the phone.

You can call[Redacted]...

01:44 PM
There's a 20 min wait currently. I can't be hanging out on the phone ... Can someone please call me when they're available?
01:45 PM
I can be reached at [Redacted]
Jo, 01:45 PM
Sure, I can escalate this for someone to follow up with you.
01:45 PM
I truly appreciate that. 🙂

I have yet to be contacted or find a solution to the discount codes that I once was able to apply. 😡

Message 9 of 12
Alumni

I'm back. I haven't gotten a response yet from the Product Team. I just tried enabling the pass-code required setting but don't see those options you mentioned.

If you'd like an immediate answer, reach out to our CS Team so they can confirm if discount settings recently changed by filing an engineering ticket. They can also tell you the best way to configuration discounts for your biz needs. 

@Winer

Justin
Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

Is there a way to offer an employee discount, but only to certain items or categories?  From what I can see in the system if I set up a discount and don't select the "automatic" option, it would let me limit the items or categories that it applies to.  I want to continue to give my employees a discount, but there are some items that need excluded from that.  It can't be automatically applied because it would only apply to employees.

Rambler
Message 11 of 12
Alumni

I would recommend using Restricted Discounts which requires a pass-code to be applied. I merged you to a thread that explains how to get started. 

@RedRamblerBrent

Justin
Message 12 of 12