x

How do I set up the online checkout to accept Digital items and Shipping items on the same checkout?

Verified Answer

How do I set up the online checkout to accept Digital items and Shipping items on the same checkout?

I have several items on my store.  Some are digital others are physical items  When the customers selects a digital item and selects a physical, and then they look at their cart,  there is an "error" message at the top of the screen that basically says.  "items in your cart have different fulfillment methods, you must purchase them separately.      How do we allow both types so the customer doesn't have to do multiple transactions? 

Image 2.jpg

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: One time Checkout for digital and physical pickup

Thanks for your post, @eagleboosters

There isn't a way right now to do this unless you change all your non-physical items to physical or vice versa. I'm merging your post into a feature request thread about this so you can get updated if we do support checking out with both in a single cart.

Verified Answer

I have several items on my store.  Some are digital others are physical items  When the customers selects a digital item and selects a physical, and then they look at their cart,  there is an "error" message at the top of the screen that basically says.  "items in your cart have different fulfillment methods, you must purchase them separately.      How do we allow both types so the customer doesn't have to do multiple transactions? 

Image 2.jpg

41 Comments
Admin

Hey @FrenshipBand-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

As of right now, you cannot have different fulfillment methods in checkout with the Square Online Store. It's a feature we're working on making available in the future. I'll make sure to post an update in this thread when I have one.

Thanks again! 🌟

Beta Member

Please allow donations to be included in our normal pick up/curbside orders. This is frustrating to have to separate the donation purchase from a normal food/drink order.

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @vhovar 👋 Thanks for taking the time to add your voice here on the Seller Community - specifically regarding new Online Store feature. We appreciate it!

I would love to get some more detail from you about what you are looking for here with this Donation feature. Specifically, are you looking for your customers to have the ability to add more funds to their purchase - like availability to tip?

Any additional details would be so helpful! We can then begin to pass this over to our Product Teams for further insight.

I will keep an eye out for your response!

Beta Member

@Joe , Apparently the "Donation" item is setup as a "Donation" Item Type and considered a "digital" item. If we have a customer who orders a drink and then tries to add a "Donation" to their order they get this error message:

"The items in your cart have different available fulfillment methods (digital delivery, pickup). You must purchase these items separately."

If this were me and I would probably be prone to simply remove the donation and not come back to it if I was being forced to create a whole new order with JUST the donation in my cart.

When I realized this after setting up our donation I was going to change the "Donation" Item Type to something else but then that seemed to really confuse things and I had to delete my item and start over.

Ah, this makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to clarify that for me, @vhovar - I really appreciate it. 

As of now, digital and physical items are required to be purchased separately. The workaround in this case would be to label you 'Donation' item as a physical item categorization as opposed to digital, as you suggested.

We realize this is not ideal - so i am more than happy to pass thing along to our Ecom Product Teams as a Feature Request. 

Again, really appreciate you bouncing back here and letting us know!

Beta Member

@Joe I was just doing some testing trying to setup a donation as a "Physical" item. You lose all the benefits of it being designated as a "Donation". It is too bad that a "Donation" is considered a "Digital" item when it actually has its own Item Type. It seems that should have been taken into account when the "Donation" Item Type was created. I can, somewhat, understand keeping the "Digital" and other types separate but to extend that restriction to "Donation" does not seem correct.

Thanks for the response and passing this along. It sure would be nice at this time to help in any way to encourage our customers to help others through donations and not hinder that in any way.

Regards...

Thanks for the prompt reply, @vhovar - and thanks as well for adding the specific workarounds you've tried. They will go a long way for others who are also viewing this thread.

Should anything come down the pipeline in regards to this update, we will vocalize it heavily here and let you know.

Thanks so much, again. Cheers!

We are a non-profit art organization and have both physical items available for pick up and donations listed in our online store.

When a customer adds a physical item and donation to their cart it displays this message: The items in your cart have different available fulfillment methods (pickup, delivery, digital delivery). You must purchase these items separately.

I don't see any setting to correct this. What am I missing?

Alumni

Hi @ECCOTA,

Thanks for posting and happy to look into this for you.

In order to make sure i'm understanding, what website builder did you use to create your site (Wix, Weebly, GoDaddy, WooCommerce etc.)? Also, can you provide the URL to your website/page? Thank you!

Please let me know by replying in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I am using the Weebly builder for our online store.

You can take a look here: https://shopeccota.square.site/

Thank you!