x

Gift Cards Not Working

Having a problem today activating gift cards.  First, the swipe will not register the card number.  Second, when manually entering the gift card number, the system will reboot.  This problem is not limited to me either, the business across the street from us also uses Square and is having the same problem.  What is the issue?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Thanks for flagging this, @jheintz21, and sorry to hear about the trouble—that shouldn't be happening.🤔

I went to check for other reports of this and everything appears to be working as expected. As a next step, please give these troubleshooting tips a run-through when you have a chance: Square Point of Sale App Troubleshooting. Those usually resolve these kinds of issues right away.

If—after that—you're still encountering this problem, please take note of the gift card number and time when you attempted to activate the gift card, then send it to our Customer Success team. With that information, they'll be able to take a closer look at what may cause the system to crash/reboot.

Hope this helps sort things out. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 5

I am using Square Register, so none of these troubleshooting tips are relevant.  And it is not one giftcard, it is every gift card.  And as I stated in my original post, this is not isolated to me, the business across the street from us is having the same issue. 

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

@jheintz21, your best bet when an item isn't working like this is to call customer support as there isn't much we can do as other users here for this.

https://squareup.com/help/contact

Click "Other"

Click "I don't see my issue"

Click "Call Support"

Write down your Customer Code

Call 1 (855) 700-6000

Message 4 of 5
Admin

Hi @jheintz21,

I apologize for the confusion—I assumed that you were set up with Point of Sale instead of Register. I tried to track down any issues related to Square Gift Cards and Register as well, and there aren't any related reports.

If this issue is still happening for you and the business across the street, these tips may help clear things up: Square Register Troubleshooting. If not, I would suggest calling in with an example of what's been happening. With that, our Customer Success team will be able to take a deeper dive into your account and help resolve any specific issue as soon as possible.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be. Please don't hesitate to let us know if any other questions come up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 5