x

Has anyone experienced having a random credit card charged for a customer who paid with a check?

A customer went to pay the balance on his invoice by check. Before we could select record payment by check the Square reader dinged and said a AMEX card was charged. The customer did not have a card saved on file and does not even have a AMEX card.

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@WendyHHR ;

I have heard of a store owner selecting to charge a CC with the Square reader, and his wallet was close to the reader and it was read and not the customers.  This could also be the case if a cell phone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or something similar is close to the reader, like the next person in lines card etc was read through the tap reader.   Not sure if this is or could be what happened just throwing out some possibilities.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @WendyHHR - Thanks for stopping by 😊

This is not a common occurrence, and should not be happening. 

Were you able to get to the bottom of why this happened? 

This may need to be investigated further by our engineers but I want to analyze the situation as best as possible for you.

Looking forward to your response. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

Best Answer

@WendyHHR ;

I have heard of a store owner selecting to charge a CC with the Square reader, and his wallet was close to the reader and it was read and not the customers.  This could also be the case if a cell phone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or something similar is close to the reader, like the next person in lines card etc was read through the tap reader.   Not sure if this is or could be what happened just throwing out some possibilities.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 4

Hi Keith,

That is exactly what happened in my case. My daughter had her phone (phone case has credit card storage) on the desk and it was her card that was charged. We will be a lot more cautious in the future with the Square reader. Thanks for you help.

Wendy

Owner

Hidden Haven Resort.

Message 4 of 4