x

Has anyone had trouble with the barcode scanner reading the printed barcode by Dymo?

I just bought the barcode scanner and the Dymo printer. I have tried both sizes of labels square reccomended. When I get the barcodes of items printed, the scanner will not recognize it. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this issue?

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I've uncovered the source of one problem with barcodes not reading. I was printing on a Dymo 450 Turbo and using some cheaper lables purchased from Uline. While Uline claimed their labels were compatible with Dymo printer (and, yes, they did print), the resulting barcode lines were too fat and ran together, making them unreadable. I'm now sticking with only Dymo brand labels and seeking a refund from Uline.

Also, I learned that a Dymo printer should be cleaned monthly and have added that to my routine.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Hey @LuLuBTX, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the scanner. Is this only happening with the labels printed by the Dymo printer? If you haven't already, I'd suggest giving these troubleshooting tips a run-though: Troubleshoot Your Bar Code Scanner.

Hope this helps clear things up! Let us know how things go, or if it's still not working — please reply with the make/model of the scanner you're using.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 15

Did you follow the suggestion and did it work? I am currently running a small boutique doing everything manually and electronically. Expanding and wanting to buy the retail pos and bar code scanner with label printer. Thank you!

Message 3 of 15

I'm having a similar problem. Because of size of my product tags, I wanted to print labels on 1 1/2 x 1. So I used the Zebra corresponding size in Square and printed on a Dymo LabelWritger 450 Turbo. These barcodes aren't being recognized. 

I have printed other size barcodes with this Dymo and they work. But not the 1 1/2 x 1 labels. Is the size too small? Barcode running together? Anyone have similar experience with smaller barcode sizes? I'd really like to stick with this size because I've made investment in tags and rolls of this size label.

Message 4 of 15
Beta Member

I am having these exact same issues.  Have you found out how to handle the situation?  This is driving me crazy.  I cannot find anyone from square or dymo to help me solve this problem. SO frustrating!  If you found a solution I would love to know how youfixed it. 

Thank you!

Message 5 of 15

I've had nothing but trouble with the Dymo 1.5x1 labels. They read ok (we have a 5-7 digit SKU) but printing I have to realign the roll after every 2-3 prints or they start skewing or going off the end of the label. We have the Dymo LabelWriter Wireless. The 1x1 mostly work great for us, though I just had a recent batch of those that won't read and look like they cut off a few bars at the end, printing through the Square dashboard. Printing from the Dymo app is more of a pain to do, but those are readable.

Message 6 of 15

Best Answer

I've uncovered the source of one problem with barcodes not reading. I was printing on a Dymo 450 Turbo and using some cheaper lables purchased from Uline. While Uline claimed their labels were compatible with Dymo printer (and, yes, they did print), the resulting barcode lines were too fat and ran together, making them unreadable. I'm now sticking with only Dymo brand labels and seeking a refund from Uline.

Also, I learned that a Dymo printer should be cleaned monthly and have added that to my routine.

Message 7 of 15

One more lesson learned: I recently began using Microsoft Edge browser and all of the sudden Barcodes I printed were not reading. I went back to Google Chrome and no problem, so clearly Edge was the culprit. Don't try printing barcode labels from Edge. 

Message 8 of 15
Beta Member

How did you clean the machine?  Did you have to buy something special to clean it?

Message 9 of 15

clean the roller wheel with alcohol. you'll have to open lid, remove area around blue light to really get in there, I used a cotton swab. 

Studio 59 Salon
Message 10 of 15

I also recently had problems with Microsoft Edge browser printing labels that would read on my scanner. I printed exact same labels from Microsoft Edge and from Google Chrome. Only the Chrome printed labels would scan.

Message 11 of 15

One other piece of advice: only use Dymo size settings in Square to print on Dymo. I use the Dymo 3/4” x 2 1/2”

Message 12 of 15
Beta Member

Can I ask how you clean the dymo machine?

Message 13 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @jacdzg2

Normally, rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab would be your best option when cleaning electronics, but I would suggest reaching out to Dymo directly. 

They would be able to give you the best cleaning option or method for their products. 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 15

Cleaning cards. 

DYMO Cleaning Card for LabelWriter Label Printers, 10-Pack (60622) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067SXL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XFG7FYF42DXW1DNYWMND?_encoding=UTF8...

Message 15 of 15