x

Having difficulty connecting my reader which was previously connected

My square reader was previously paired with my Alcatel 1B. It was working perfectly a few days ago but when I went to connect it today I get nothing. The reader lights are green as usual, the settings say the reader has been connected previously (though I've now 'forgotten' it to try and start from scratch) but even starting from scratch, the orange lights flash on the reader and the phone looks like it's waiting for the reader but it's like they can't 'hear' each other at all, there's just no sign of a connection between them. Is this something to do with the current issues?

Message 1 of 2
Report Inappropriate Content
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @jrossjord, thanks for raising this! 

It looks like the Acatel 1B tablet is not on our list of compatible devices. This means we can't guarantee that the tablet will always maintain a connection to the reader, so it may connect initially but the connection can easily be disrupted and it can have trouble pairing again. 

Sometimes, these troubleshooting steps have helped the reader to connect again so it's worth trying to run through them as well:

1. Make sure the Square Point of Sale app and the operating software is up to date
  2. Forget the reader from the device's Bluetooth setting
  3. Turn the Bluetooth off and back on
  4. Turn the device off and back on
  5. Hard reset of reader -- hold button for around 20 seconds, wait for lights to turn orange, then red, then release the button when all the lights have stop flashing
  6. Go back into the Square Point of Sale app > Settings > Hardware > Card readers > Connect a reader and follow the prompt

If you have another device that's on the compatibility list, you can try to pair the reader to it as well to see if it will work. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 2
Report Inappropriate Content