x

How can I enable my account without putting social security number?

Because I'm not a resident, and I do not have a Social Security Number? what can I do?

Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @Ajeeeel52, thanks for posting.

In order to create a Square account, a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification number is required. If you do not have one then you will not be able to create an account with Square. If you have a business partner who is a resident, they would have to set up the account, and business Tax ID (EIN) could be used for tax reporting. Read more about the information required to sign up with Square in our Support Center. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Square

Best Answer

Hi @Ajeeeel52, thanks for posting.

In order to create a Square account, a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification number is required. If you do not have one then you will not be able to create an account with Square. If you have a business partner who is a resident, they would have to set up the account, and business Tax ID (EIN) could be used for tax reporting. Read more about the information required to sign up with Square in our Support Center. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 2 of 37

I am told by the state, the IRS and my accountant to keep my personal business and my business business information separate.  I have an EIN and that is the info that confirms my business - so please explain further why you Square requires my personal social security details? Is there truly no way to get an account without? Thank you.  

Message 3 of 37

Hey @AnnndAction! I can provide some clarification on this matter. 

When signing up for a Square account, you will be required to provide information so we can verify you're a real person. We are required by banking industry regulations and federal law (USA Patriot Act of 2001) to ask for your Social Security Number, date of birth and full name. 

Once your account is setup you can enter your EIN so all of your transactions will be tied to your business instead of yourself. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 😀

Message 4 of 37

Thanks Chad! I guess the bank did want me to verify I am "me" too at the very start.  ~vg

Message 5 of 37

How do I fix my ss # if I initally entered it wrong?

Message 6 of 37
Admin

Hi @jay306! If you haven't already please contact our Support Team directly who can help you with the next steps. 👍

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 37

I am setting up an account for a non-profit associated with a local library. There is an EIN # that I can register with the account, but I'm hesitant to link my identity with the acct since I may not be a board member in 2 years and someone else will take over after I leave the role. How should I go about setting up the acct?

Message 8 of 37
Alumni

Hi @FOBSL - Unfortunately, identity verification information is required to open an account with us. As Chad stated above, we are required by banking industry regulations and federal law (USA Patriot Act of 2001) to request this information. If you do not want it tied to you, you would need to ask someone else in your organization to open the account.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 9 of 37

so there is no way to do it without ssn because i dont want toput it in my computer 

Message 10 of 37
Super Seller

@kfago, that is correct, as pointed out in this thread it is required by the patriot act Section 321 CIP (Customer Identification Program) to prove your identity.

Message 11 of 37

The US Patriot Act dose not Require you to have my SSN to verify who I am (see below). I am registered with all the same information from the IRS when we got the EIN number. the fact that both match should be enough.

SEC. 326. VERIFICATION OF IDENTIFICATION

(A) verifying the identity of any person seeking to open an account to the extent reasonable and practicable; (B) maintaining records of the information used to verify a person's identity, including name, address, and other identifying information; and (C) consulting lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations provided to the financial institution by any government agency to determine whether a person seeking to open an account appears on any such list.

Message 12 of 37

To Financial Institutions and Account Holders Regarding the Possession and Use of Social Security Numbers

There is no law requiring a person to obtain, have or use a Social Security Number to open, use or maintain a bank account or to perform bank transactions in the United States.

31 CFR 103.28 requires identification as follows:
“Before concluding any transaction with respect to which a report is required under Sec. 103.22, a financial institution shall verify and record the name and address of the individual presenting a transaction, as well as record the identity, account number, and the social security or taxpayer identification number, if any, of any person or entity on whose behalf such transaction is to be effected.” (Emphasis added)

Financial institutions may be required to ask you for proper identification and a social security number. The financial institution is required to make a record of the identity records that you provide to them. However, there is no law requiring an account holder or customer to provide a social security number. Additionally, there is no law prohibiting a financial institution from opening an account or completing a transaction because a customer lacks a social security number.

31 CFR 103.33 requires financial institutions to include a “notation in the record” that a customer lacks a social security number or certain other identification.

31 CFR 103.34 provides:
“In the event that a bank has been unable to secure . . . the required identification, it shall nevertheless not be deemed to be in violation of this section if (i) it has made a reasonable effort to secure such identification, and (ii) it maintains a list containing the names, addresses, and account numbers of those persons from whom it has been unable to secure such identification, and makes the names, addresses, and account numbers of those persons available to the Secretary as directed by him.”

18 USC Sec. 242 and 42 USC Sec. 1983 provides that:

“Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;” 42 USC Sec. 1983 further provides that a violator “shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress.”

42 USC Sec. 408 provides that:

“Whoever ... (8) discloses, uses, or compels the disclosure of the social security number of any person in violation of the laws of the United States; shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.”

Message 13 of 37
Square Community Moderator

Hi @RabulsTX,

Welcome to The Seller Community! Thanks for providing that information.

For security purposes, both banking industry regulations and federal law require Square to ask for the Social Security number, date of birth, and full name for each of our customers. 

Even if you plan on using our services primarily for a business, we need this information to confirm that you’re either a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. There isn’t a way to create a Square account without providing a valid SSN.

For tax reporting purposes you can also add your Employment Identification Number to your Square account. Associating your Square account with your EIN is helpful when it comes to organizing and completing your taxes, as we will report your 1099-K to your EIN.

Here more insight into what is required for Square payment processing. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions? 

Message 14 of 37

Hi 

i just established a new business in states as investor, I have the EIN number but I couldn't create an account on square since your system requires SSN# 

what should I do?

thanks 

Message 15 of 37
Alumni

Hey @AdamAbuhamdan

For security purposes, both banking industry regulations and federal law require Square to ask for the Social Security Number, date of birth, and full name for each of our customers. Even if you plan on using our services primarily for a business, we need this information to confirm that you’re either a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. There isn’t a way to create a Square account without providing a valid SSN.

Your Employment Identification Number can be used in addition, but not as a replacement for your SSN during signup. You can learn more about the Required Information to Open A Square Account.

Hope that clarifies things for you!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 16 of 37

Whats the solution for foreign companies here in states then? 

Message 17 of 37
Super Seller

Message 18 of 37
Square Community Moderator

@AdamAbuhamdan You'll want to have one of your U.S. business partners create the Square account, and then add the EIN to replace the SSN after the account is created. 

Message 19 of 37

Hi! I have the same issue but I have a ein for my business but I don’t have a ssn.. there is no way for me to start this? I need something to be able to charge my clients... 

Message 20 of 37
Super Seller

@Giulibp, the only other way to sign up for a Square account is with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).  Otherwise, there is not a way to open a Square account without an SSN to verify the user is a citizen or permanent resident per the PATRIOT act and banking regulations.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/4955-sign-up-for-square-point-of-sale

Message 21 of 37