x

How can I grant microphone access to the Square app?

Neither my fully charged chip reader nor my card swiper are acknowledged by my new iPhone 6S.  Square hasbeen granted access to microphone.  Both work on old iPhone 4 - which isn't holding a charge.  I And market is tomorrow -Saturday!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@campbellcreekwe - So sorry to hear about the trouble! I'm happy to help point you in the right direction. To enable microphone access, follow these steps: 

1. Open iPhone Settings

2. Click Privacy 

3. Click Microphone

4. Make sure Register is enabled

That should do the trick! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Square

Best Answer

@campbellcreekwe - So sorry to hear about the trouble! I'm happy to help point you in the right direction. To enable microphone access, follow these steps: 

1. Open iPhone Settings

2. Click Privacy 

3. Click Microphone

4. Make sure Register is enabled

That should do the trick! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 22

The protective case for my phone impeded the insertion of the readers.  Without the case, both readers work just fine.  

Message 3 of 22
Square

@campbellcreekwe - Awe! Sorry for the confusion, and glad to hear you got things working! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 22

I've tried this but my IPad doesn't show the square trying to use the microphone so I cant grant access to it.  I can not use my square because of this.

Message 5 of 22
Square Community Moderator

@Replikov You might need to change this within your device settings. Which type of iPad did you have?  

Message 6 of 22

Hi, I see this is an old thread, but I now have the same problem. This just happened for no reason that I can understand. My iphone7 app is stuck on a screen that says that says POS needs access to my microphone. However no apps appear in Settings>Privacy>Microphone.

I have forced stopped the app, deleted and reinstalled the app, performed the latest apple update, and changed location from "while using" to "always".

Is there anything else you suggest. I have had this phone for a year and did not have any problem until this week. I believe the last time I used the app on my phone was in mid December. I checked to see if there might have been a recent update, but POS does not appear in that list. 

Thank you.

Message 7 of 22
Alumni

Hey @marykaye - The iOS updates for iPhone have changed where everything is over the years so the steps above wouldn't apply to your iPhone 7. You would just need to go to Settings > Scroll down until you see Point of Sale > Enable Microphone.

That should clear up the issue you're having, but if not just let us know!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 22

Hi Puka,

Thank you so much for your reply. I failed to mention the other day that Microphone did not appear in Settings>POS either. 

But, I found the problem now. In Settings>General>Restrictions>Microphone, it was turned off and marked "don't allow changes". I can't explain how that happened, but marking it "allow changes" and restarting the phone fixed the problem.

Thank you so much for your time.  

Message 9 of 22
Alumni

Ah, that makes sense! Glad you were able to find the source of the issue and thank you for sharing the solution with the rest of the Community! This will really come in handy if another Seller happens to run into the same issue.

Definitely let us know if you have any other questions. Happy Wednesday! 🙂

Puka - She/They
Message 10 of 22

Thank you so mach !!!

Message 11 of 22

I go to privacy then microphone there is nothing there to turn on 

Message 12 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hey @dugger I'm sorry you are having issues as well, what kind of phone do you have? 

Message 13 of 22

I keep getting  {point of sale needs access to your microphone} message.

Message 14 of 22
Square

Hi @theo — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check it out for more details. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 15 of 22

the answer to the other seller does not help since there is no indication in Settings/ Privacy/ Microphone  for giving POS access.

Message 16 of 22
Alumni

Hi @jameseweaver - Sean's answer still applies: Settings > Privacy > Microphone > Point of Sale toggled ON (see screenshot).

There is also another way:

1) Open Settings on iPhone

2) Scroll down until you see Point of Sale app

3) Make sure the Microphone is toggled ON (see screenshot)

Puka - She/They
Message 17 of 22

I figured out what was happening. I'm on an iPad.

Before, the only Privacy Setting I was changing was Location Services. From within that screen, there is no Microphone setting.

I backed out of Location Services to the Privacy settings and found Microphone there. I'm able to login now.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Message 18 of 22
Alumni

Thanks for sharing your insight with the rest of the Community, @liveinyourbody! I'm sure it will come in handy for other Sellers. 🤙🏼

Puka - She/They
Message 19 of 22

My iPhone is doing the same thing.  I’ve checked all the settings as described here.  The phone is Brand New and all updated.  Reader is brand new and works on iPad with same iOS version.  Would not work on my other iPhone either.  It used to work on that phone in the fall of last year.  Is there any known app conflict that could be causing this? Any other settings to check?  

Message 20 of 22
Admin

@Bfauber Sorry for the frustration! If you've tried it out on two different phones but it won't connect, go ahead and contact our Support team so we can investigate this for you. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 22