x

How do I add a SKU to an item in the item library?

How do I add a SKU to an item in the item library?   I want to add SKU so we can use the barcode scanner.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

The easiest way is to pull up the item in the app and then scan the barcode into the SKU field.  You can always type the UPC into the SKU field from the dashboard at squareup.com.  Be sure to include all the digits, including the check digit.

You'll need to be careful because barcode scanners can be set up to drop the check digit or other specific characters.  You'll want to ensure that all of your barcode scanners are set up in the same way and you enter the barcodes into the SKU field in the way that your scanner grabs the codes.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

The easiest way is to pull up the item in the app and then scan the barcode into the SKU field.  You can always type the UPC into the SKU field from the dashboard at squareup.com.  Be sure to include all the digits, including the check digit.

You'll need to be careful because barcode scanners can be set up to drop the check digit or other specific characters.  You'll want to ensure that all of your barcode scanners are set up in the same way and you enter the barcodes into the SKU field in the way that your scanner grabs the codes.

Message 2 of 10

I put enter sku's into the register. It seems to be kicking some of them out. I know I put the sku in for that item. But its not in there. Any Idea why it would be kicking my sku's out? 

Message 3 of 10
Alumni

Hey @bigeye, sorry for the delayed response. I added your question to this thread, where @sciabica1936 responded to another seller about how to add in SKUs - I think it'll be helpful for you too. Let us know if you have other questions and we'll be happy to help out. 👍

Message 4 of 10

How about when you put the sku by hand under "items" it does not show up in register mode? Is the only way to view an sku, in register mode, is if it's bar scanned?

And where is the link to get into the backend register (online)? Does that still exist?

Message 5 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

Not sure why it would "kick them out", I have not experienced that.  However, it may be easier/faster to add them via the dashboard.

Message 6 of 10

This comment was created by merging the thread "barcode". 

How do I set up barcodes in Square POS so that I can use the scanner?

Message 7 of 10

Hello @Cynthia2

I went ahead and merged your thread with this one since this question has been asked before. This makes it easier for other members to search for threads in the Community. 

I recommend checking out sciabica1936's answer above! 🙂

Message 8 of 10

I am no longer able to scan in new item barcodes.  The scanner still works at the register/checkout screen but just beeps when I go into create a new item and try to scan the SKU in there.

Message 9 of 10
Alumni

Have you attempted any troubleshooting steps yet, @SHBGifts? 🎁 

We recommend starting there, but feel free to get in touch directly if you need some one-on-one help!
A phone call is quickest, and you can reach our team that way by heading to this page.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 10