x

How do I connect my reader to an iPhone 8 (there's no hole on the bottom!)?

I have used previous iPhone models, but the iPhone 8 doesn't have a hole on the bottom to plug in the reader.

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update August 2018: More good news: You can now buy a magstripe reader that has a lightning connector! To buy one, sign in to the Square Shop🎉

Hey @Alan2, good news—we do have a solution for this! 💯

If you’re using an iPhone 8 with your magstripe reader, you can use the Lightning Adapter for Square Reader. The Lightning Adapter for Square Reader is rigid so you won't need a third hand to complete the payment. In addition, it will work with iPhone 7, 7Plus, 8, or X. 😉

Hope this helps clear things up—let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Both the iPhone8 and iPhoneX (10) have lighting connector ports and you can purchase the apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter, if you want to use the Square Magstrip Reader. The Square Contactless + Chipcard Reader uses Bluetooth.

Either way, you'll still be able to use the Square card readers.

Image result for square headphone reader

Message 2 of 30

Using the Iphone 8 adapter cable for connecting the card reader is very inconvient to use - takes three hands.  😞  Is there an adapter like the one available for the IPhone 7 - a more rigid adapter?  

Message 3 of 30
Admin

Best Answer

Update August 2018: More good news: You can now buy a magstripe reader that has a lightning connector! To buy one, sign in to the Square Shop🎉

Hey @Alan2, good news—we do have a solution for this! 💯

If you’re using an iPhone 8 with your magstripe reader, you can use the Lightning Adapter for Square Reader. The Lightning Adapter for Square Reader is rigid so you won't need a third hand to complete the payment. In addition, it will work with iPhone 7, 7Plus, 8, or X. 😉

Hope this helps clear things up—let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 30

Thanks Tom. That really helps!!😃

Message 5 of 30

Thanks and I've ordered one.  It should work but I am surprised that I have to pay $15 for an adapter.  Just make a reader that works with the new iphones.  Iphone 7 has been out for over two years.  Technology changes fast - keep up. 

Message 6 of 30
Admin

Glad to hear it! And—yes—I hear you on keeping up with all the new hardware trends. We'll announce any updates. Keep in touch🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 7 of 30

i have a iphone 8 plus will it work for that phone too

Message 8 of 30

Will it work with the iphone 8 plus?

Message 9 of 30
Super Seller

all iPhones since Apple eliminated the headphone jack include a lightning to 3.5mm headphone in the box so there is nothing need to buy.  the Square mag stripe reader will work with the adapter included in the iPhone box.

Message 10 of 30

I have an iPhone X the lightning adapter (loose not rigid) isn't connecting my Square to my phone. What else can I try?

Message 11 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Hey @kcmayor,

The lightning connector that comes with iPhones is actually not compatible with our readers.

If you want to continue using a magstripe reader- you'll need to purchase a lightning reader.

The Contactless + Chip reader is also compatible and it's honestly better to use to protect yourself from chargebacks. With the magstripe readers there's EMV laws in place with the banks where if you receive a chargeback and it was swiped instead of inserted with a chip- you will automatically lose the chargeback.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 30

Have had customers walk away from a sale because I didn't have a chip reader. Bought the chip reader/swipe module but had to get a new phone after. Got an Iphone 8 and bought a conversion cord to be able to plug the chip reader into it but it won't work. All Square offers is a swipe module with a lightning plug - a potential sales loser...Am I now out the $50 I paid for the chip reader? Manual loading of cards is also a potential sales loser when people don't want to wait if I get busy...

Message 13 of 30
Super Seller

for chip reader get the contactless NFC chip reader.  99.8% of cards are chipped now and that connects via Bluetooth so super simple.  I have 6 of them and the work great, battery lasts for days because it goes to sleep mode when not in use.  

Message 14 of 30

How do I get a reader for a I phone 8?

Message 15 of 30
Super Seller

I would recommend the Contactless and Chip Reader.  It connects via Bluetooth.

Or you can get the lightning swipe reader, but then you will be 100% liable for fraudulent or disputed charges and not be able to challenge them.

Message 16 of 30

The iPhone 8, 8+, and X come with a lightening to 3.5 audio adapter.  That will allow you to continue using the reader.

Message 17 of 30

I am not understanding how the adapter that came with the iphone 8 connects with the chip reader.  The end of the adapter that does not go into the phone is round, like a headphone jack, but the plug in the chip reader is oblong.

Message 18 of 30

The chip reader does not connect to your iPhone using a cable. It connects via Bluetooth. Go into your Square Register app settings and click card readers. Follow the steps to connect to the chip reader, which includes clicking and holding the button on the back on the reader until the four Orange lights start blinking.

Message 19 of 30

My iphone 8 does not recognize the contactless chip reader.  Is there a problem with the app?  I have deleted and reinstalled the Point of sale app, pushed the reader button until all lights flash orange, etc.  The reader worked great with my iphone 5.  Help!

Message 20 of 30
Alumni

Hey @rangewestbeef - That's strange. Have you already given all of the Contactless + Chip Reader troubleshooting steps a try? If you have and are still experiencing issues, I recommend reaching out to our CS team directly and they'll be able to investigate further for you.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 21 of 30