x

How do I create a sales tax?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Having trouble entering sales tax]

Have trouble entering sales tax

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @Lharrod!

Would you mind replying with what exactly is happening when you try to create a sales tax?

To manage/create taxes from the app:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines in the navigation bar.
  2. Tap Settings > Tax.
  3. On Android devices tap Create Tax, on an iPad, tap “Add a New Tax,” or on an iPhone, tap the + icon. To modify an existing tax rate, tap it.
  4. Enable the new tax, add or edit the tax info, and make sure to apply the tax to applicable items.
  5. Tap Save when you’re finished.

Let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 6

Hi all! I own a cafe, and am trying to figure out how to program two different tax rates into Square. For us here in Ontario, basically food sales under 4 dollars is taxed at 5%, above four dollars its 13%. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @CaffeineToronto -

I moved your post to a thread with some helpful tips on creating and managing those taxes. 

Check out the Best Answer by @Isabelle!

Also, there is a Support Article with similar information. 

Thank you!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

Hi! Thanks!

I saw those posts, but they didn't provide the answer that I am looking for. For these taxes, its not per item - its for a dollar amount. Example: If your three items combined are under 4 dollars, its one tax rate. If those three items combined are over 4 dollars its a different tax rate. That's why I started a new thread, its not per item, its per dollar amount.

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

@CaffeineToronto

Gotcha! From what you described in your last post, this would be a Feature Request. I can tag this for the appropriate team to get some eyes on it. 

Thank you for taking the time to post this thread to let us know how this would benefit your business. 

Have a great day!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6