x

How do I troubleshoot the Square Point of Sale app?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Square app freezes on "approved" screen

My square app freezes on the "approved" screen. Happens whether I'm entering a manual card entry or with the chip reader. I'm using a Samsung S8 Active, Android phone. I had no problems until my phone did an automatic software update. Eventually it does complete the process, but it takes far too long and wastes valuable customer time and looks unprofessional when it takes too long to complete the transaction.

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@CaptJim I'm very sorry you've been encountering this issue, it's definitely not normal. As this seems to happen when you enter card details to the app and when you're using your reader there might be a glitch in the app or with your device. 

Try these troubleshooting steps one by one:  

1. Check that the Point of Sale app is up to date, and that the software on your phone is up to date too. 
  2. Sign out of the app and sign back in.
  3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on again. (Yes it does help, especially if you rarely power your device off.)
  4. Force close the Point of Sale app and reopen it. 
  5. If you have NOT accepted any payments in Offline Mode, delete and reinstall the app. *Note: Do not delete the app if you have pending payments that you accepted while Offline Mode. Only delete the app after your device has been reconnected to the internet and all pending payments have been processed. 

If the freeze continues even after you've tried each step please call our CS team directly so we can investigate further and make sure you can processing payments within seconds as expected! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Admin

Best Answer

@CaptJim I'm very sorry you've been encountering this issue, it's definitely not normal. As this seems to happen when you enter card details to the app and when you're using your reader there might be a glitch in the app or with your device. 

Try these troubleshooting steps one by one:  

1. Check that the Point of Sale app is up to date, and that the software on your phone is up to date too. 
  2. Sign out of the app and sign back in.
  3. Turn your phone off and turn it back on again. (Yes it does help, especially if you rarely power your device off.)
  4. Force close the Point of Sale app and reopen it. 
  5. If you have NOT accepted any payments in Offline Mode, delete and reinstall the app. *Note: Do not delete the app if you have pending payments that you accepted while Offline Mode. Only delete the app after your device has been reconnected to the internet and all pending payments have been processed. 

If the freeze continues even after you've tried each step please call our CS team directly so we can investigate further and make sure you can processing payments within seconds as expected! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 24

I’m not entering card details, it’s a cash sale

Message 3 of 24
Admin

@Glynda4610 You can still go through the same troubleshooting steps for the POS even if you're using cash!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 24
Beta Member

I try to open my square app and it says Failed to  Load Square. The top also says Reader not ready... I've try many times, even rebooting my phone...

what else should I try to make app work?

Message 5 of 24
Alumni

I've moved your post to this thread so you can take a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by @Helen here, @tlazreq. Based on the things you've described trying already, it sounds like you have a Square Reader for contactless and chip. In addition to the steps here in this thread, I'd like to point you to our troubleshooting steps for that reader as well.

If none of these steps gets your app and reader running as they should, please do not hesitate to reach out directly, and we'll make sure to help straighten everything out!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 24

After I recently did the most current update on the Square, Now my scanner rings up multiple items.  The only way to fix it is to completely shut down the I-pad and re-boot. This has happened everyday since the update we did a few days ago.

Message 7 of 24
Alumni

😖 Yikes - seems like a pain, especially during a busy biz day. I'd start by reinstalling your app, then comb the other troubleshooting steps listed in @Helen's best answer.

@debsterllc

Justin
Message 8 of 24

This thread says "solved", but there is no answer here that confirmed how it was solved.  Merely saying "comb the other troubleshooting steps" is not a solution.  Helen, did you ever get this fixed?  My Samsung Note 9 does the same thing you describe.  Everything is up-to-date, uninstalled, reinstalled, put my right foot in, took my right foot out, shook it all about, etc.  Still locks up on Approved screen, and hangs for like 15 minutes or more to get to the signature screen.

Message 9 of 24
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @hammerspring. Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. Something definitely sounds off here - especially if your issue continues to persist after the above troubleshooting steps.

As Helen mentioned above in her post, would you mind flagging this over to our Support Team? They can take a deeper dive with you.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Joe
Message 10 of 24

I have not been able to access my square app today, 7/14/2020.  Is anyone else having that problem?

Message 11 of 24
Admin

Hi @aomani. We weren't experiencing any issues related to the app yesterday. Hopefully everything is running smoothly again for you. If not, I've moved your post here so you can go through the troubleshooting steps that Helen provided.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 12 of 24

I'm having the exact same problem on one of my phones that I use the Square app on.  My LG V30 locks up exactly as the OP stated.  An older Samsung Galaxy S6 that I use for backup works just fine.  But it's the LG that I always have with me and need to work.  The "best answer" marked in this thread is general troubleshooting that I've done multiple times and has done nothing to resolve the specific issue.  As there are other users out there with the exact same problem, I'd love to see some actually technical assistance given to this issue.

Message 13 of 24
Admin

Hey @FatRichie

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community 

This sounds frustrating. Would you mind giving our Support Team a call? They may have an updated workaround to suggest. 

Please feel free to circle back to this thread with your findings. Apologies that this thread hasn't been of more help thus far. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 14 of 24

Well, I have to say calling support was a dead end too.  I called in, and had a difficult time getting the technician to understand my problem, but they said they'd have someone from the support team email me.  I did get an email, but it wasn't for technical support, it was to help me push through any charges that didn't go through.  This again, was not the issue, which I made clear when I responded back to the support email.  Since that time (five days ago), no one has contacted me).

I'd always been told that Square support was terrible, and I'm beginning to see why it has that reputation.

Message 15 of 24
Admin

Hey @FatRichie-

Sorry to hear that you're not getting the support you're looking for. I would love to file a ticket with our Engineering Team if I could get a bit more information.

Just to be clear, this issue is only occurring on your LG V30 device, correct? Can you provide, in your own words, a brief description of the issue? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 16 of 24

Sure thing... it's pretty much what the original poster, CaptJim was saying though.  I can run the transaction (manual or swipe) and it gets to the approved screen, but hangs there.  The next step should be to have the customer enter their signature, or else confirm that the transaction is complete, but the entire phone just hangs... I can't even switch to another application... for at least three minutes.  Eventually, if I wait long enough the signature screen will come up, though I did have a transaction just completely lockup once.  I waited 20 minutes for that one, finally had to force the phone to shut down to get out of it, and then I lost the transaction.  This whole situation has been going on for the last four to six weeks.  Before that, I've been using the app with no problems on this phone (LG V30) for over one year.  The phone had even been factory reset just two months before this issue ever started.  Another phone that uses the same account (an old Samsung Galaxy S6) has no problem at all.

Message 17 of 24
Admin

Thank you @FatRichie!

One for question: what version of the Square app are you running? The most updated version?

Also, if you have a screenshot of the frozen screen to share, please provide that as well. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 18 of 24

Yes, I'm running the most current version of Square.  It's been uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times.  No, I can't get a screenshot, because as I mentioned, the entire phone locks up.

Message 19 of 24
Admin

Okay, our Engineering Team did get back to me @FatRichie.

First, they let me know that our Compatibility site specifies that there is no gaurantee LG devices are compatible with our readers or software. You can see that here.

Alternatively, I guess you're running Android v.8 on that device. They asked me if you could update the LG device to the latest version of Android (v.11). Would that be possible?

Let me know! 👩🏼‍💻

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 20 of 24
Admin

Thank you @FatRichie! I filed a ticket with our Engineering Team and I will let you know what they say.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 21 of 24