x
Beta Member

How do you cancel a sale after a card is declined?

We had a customer get a declined card error when she tried to pay, so she instead wanted to pay with cash. Our staff member could not find any way to back out of the CC sale so she could choose the cash payment option (she looked everywhere on the screen and it wouldn't let her do anything or click anywhere)

We do have team permissions set up, so we thought that might be the issue, but the "cancel payments" toggle bar was set to on for all employees. Anyone have any insights on this issue? Unfortunately it's kind of a hard one to test unless we find another declined card!

We are using the Square Register.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @WWS

Welcome back to the Community. 

If a card payment is declined - you aren't charged for those payments. There wouldn't be anything to refund or anything like that. 

Once the card declines, it should take you back to the payment screen. Next step would be able to select cash as a payment. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 11
Beta Member

You're right. There is no way to back out of a declined card on Register. I just unplug it and start over. Not fun when there are customers waiting to pay. I think Register lacks a lot of the things that you can do on your phone or iPad in the appointments app

Message 3 of 11

Hi @Pamalupagus,

Thanks for writing back into the Seller Community! 

When a card is declined on the Square Register, both your screen, and the customer facing screen, show the decline. Your customer needs to tap "ok" on their side of the display to get another chance at completing the payment. Should they decide to pay cash instead, you can tap "Cancel Payment" from your end, which then gives you the opportunity to charge them with a different payment method.

Please let us know how you go 🙂

Message 4 of 11
Beta Member

There is absolutely no button on my end to exit from the red box

Message 5 of 11

Are you able to tap on another place on the screen? Another option is to exit the app and reopen it. 

But, you should always make sure your app and device are up to date to ensure all screen options are available.

AshleyK
Message 6 of 11

It did not take me back to the payment screen.  It just stayed red.  It wouldn't let me tap the down button to go to help or settings or anything.  So frustrating.  I had to reboot.

Message 7 of 11
Beta Member

I see that someone said in an earlier post that the customer screen has something on it. I will check the next time it happens. But as stated there is no way on my side of the register to exit the declined box, or anything else for that matter.

Message 8 of 11

I too found no way to back out of the "Card Declined."  The only thing I could do was to reboot.  Again not fun if you have people waiting.

Message 9 of 11

This is still an issue. The customer, well I, tapped on OK... the only option was ANOTHER CARD. The customer wanted to pay by cash (our local bank is notorious for customer cards with defective chips)- couldn't do it. I just opened the drawer and gave her her change then used one of my cards to get through it. 
This really need to be fixed. If a card is declined, just go back to the original payment screen.  PLEASE

Message 10 of 11

Hi @HBCornerStore - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

I can definitely see your frustration with this.

This is an issue that our engineers are currently aware of and are working to identify the root of this to find a fix. At this time, I am happy to escalate this further for you so that they are aware that it was mentioned December 5 and now again today.

My hope is that this is resolved quickly to avoid any future inconveniences. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 11 of 11