x

How do I comp a Gift Card or eGift Card?

The title of this thread has been changed from: How to comp a gift card

I’ve been using the square gift cards for about 6 months now and frequently donate comped gift cards. I just realized all of those cards I gave out show a zero balance because it was comped and that feature does not work. I can only imagine the problems this will cause when those cards start coming back.  Not happy. 

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

to give out a gift card with a full balance but not add any money to your register you can ring up a gift card like usual,  then add a 100% discount and finish the transaction.  the card will be loaded but no money will be added to your daily sales.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Super Seller

Best Answer

to give out a gift card with a full balance but not add any money to your register you can ring up a gift card like usual,  then add a 100% discount and finish the transaction.  the card will be loaded but no money will be added to your daily sales.

Message 2 of 29

I assume this is for the plastic cards correct?  If so, how do I comp EGift cards.

TIA

Bill

Regards,
Bill CCO
Message 3 of 29
Admin

@CRF You should be able to follow the same steps and apply a 100% discount when you sell an eGift Card from your Point of Sale! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 29
Beta Member

Is there a way to send complimentary e-Gift cards to guests if we have their email and information on file?  

Message 5 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @BrownButterNOLA 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Glad to hear from you again!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into a Similar Thread of Sellers who were also curious about Comping gift cards for their customers. I would  check out this Best Answer from that thread for instructions on a work-around. 

Let me know if that gets you where you need to be!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 29

I have tried to add a discount code but that is not working (also have no idea why it is not working) to try and comp E gift cards (we ran a promo, buy X get a free $ e-gift card). I just need to send a digital gift card for $ to a customer. Thank you in advance!

Message 7 of 29

Hi @emp4036 and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered.

Check out the posts above for more details.

Ashley C
Message 8 of 29
Beta Member

I like to donate gift cards to community organizations. I often do this as coupons but also would like to do this as a digital gift card. Is there a way wring up an e-gift card so that it hits a marketing line item versus coming off as a sale with no tender?

Message 9 of 29

Hi @murisseattle 👋 Welcome to the Community!

I moved your post over to this thread where other sellers are discussing this. 😊

Message 10 of 29

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How Do I Create Gift Cards To Send Clients?

Hello,

I would like to create eGift cards to send a few of my clients as holiday gifts. How/where can I do that? I only see a page to purchase gift cards, not send for free as gifts. Please help.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 29
Alumni

Hi @Nittering - the steps for sending an eGift Card this way are very similar to what @VanKalkerFarms has described in this thread here.

You should be able to create a 100% discount Promotional Code, or a Promotional Code for a specific dollar amount, from your Dashboard. You can then share that discount code with your clients who you'd like to give these holiday gifts to. They'll be able to use the discount code to grab the eGift Card using the code, so long as you have your eGift Cards set up in your Dashboard

Valentina
Message 12 of 29
Beta Member

I am donating some gift certificates to a local non-profit auction and I'm wondering if there's any way I can generate an e-Gift card w/o needing to go through the purchasing process. Basically I want to be able to send an email to the receipient saying they have a gift card with a certain value. I've also wanted to do this sometimes when a customer's order gets screwed up and I want to give them a discount in the future as a sorry.

Message 13 of 29
Admin

@dsaxena_pdx Yes, there's a way! I've gone ahead and merged your question to this existing thread that goes over how you can accomplish this.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 14 of 29
Beta Member

I've gone through all the threads but I'm not finding how to generate an egift card to a customer in the dashboard.  I know how to do the plastic version with the 100% discount but how do I actually email the comped egift card to the customer?  Can I do it from the computer dashboard or does it have to be from the POS?  Can you please list the steps in the reply?

Thank you.

Message 15 of 29

Hey there, @CakeMonkey

I am happy to shed some light on how to operate and handle your eGift Cards. Check out this Support Article with more information. 

Gift cards can only be redeemed through the Point of Sale app, then cannot be generated. 

Once you take a look at the article, please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Kassi
Message 16 of 29

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: We want to give preloaded gift cards to customers, how do we process them?

We want to give some gift cards as gifts to use in our shop. How do you "buy" a gift card to give away? Do you actually purchase it with your business credit card or bank account? Or is there an option to comp these in the system we're not seeing. Thank you in advance for guidance on this, can't find this information anywhere.

Message 17 of 29
Alumni

I've moved your post over to this thread where @VanKalkerFarms answered this question when someone else asked it. This should get you where you need to be, @likethisandthat - let me know if questions come up!

Valentina
Message 18 of 29

I have donated 30 $ 10.00 gift cards to a Public Radio Station.. Is there someway to move those somewhere so I don't have to go through them each time I check open  tickets

Message 19 of 29
Admin

Hey @jadeans60, thanks for posting! Currently, you have the $30 worth of gift card credit saved as an Open Ticket? If you're still needing to comp those, this is the best way to go about processing gift card donations. But let me know if I'm misunderstanding!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 20 of 29

Did anyone actually get the answer (step by step) to how to do a comped gift card? I see the merged thread and frankly it doesn't really tell you exactly how to do it. To clarify, I "donated" a $100 gift card to an auction. Now I need to be able to email an e-card to someone. I'm confused about doing as a promotional code. If I set one up for $100 at 100% off, couldn't anyone use that code if it got passed along? 

Message 21 of 29