x

Hyperlinks in email campaigns warn of malware.

Hello - I'm new to Square email marketing and have encountered a serious issue. I'm using hyperlinks as a highlighted word, image, and the Square button. When a customer receives the marketing email and follow the links, they are directed to a URL that warns that the link is dangerous and contains malware. https://sqclick.com/outreach/t/mWP9TkPJnL9eZWKg.

Is anyone else having this problem and have you found a solution?

It doesn't happen every time. I forwarded the email to a colleague and after they clicked the button in a test email I watched the URL change from the bad gateway to the correct link.

PR

Message 1 of 10
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Birthday Marketing link brings up malware warning website for many customers

Hi @Olivesmom and @jonnychong. I went ahead and moved your comments over to another thread on the same topic. As for your concerns - I totally understand and I'm happy to shed light on this situtation for you (and everyone else). 

To get going, our engineering team is aware of this issue and they're on it. As for what actually happened, we made a change to the URLs that we use inside campaigns and this was an uninteded consequence. I can assure you that there are no safety concerns. Also, any campaign sent out going foward should be fine. We're also working with Google to remove the warning from previous campaigns that were sent. 

If you do hear from your customers, you can assure them that there's no need for concern and that we're on it! Please let me know if you have any other questions - I'd be happy to help out! 

9 REPLIES 9

Hey there, this happened to me too this morning when I was sending an email announcement of my recently launched webstore TheNerdporium.com. Not a good way to let know they can buy from us securely! Very disappointing. I don't know why Square isn't addressing this. 

Message 2 of 10
Admin

Thank you for flagging this and sorry to hear about the trouble. This should not be happening. 🤔

@FurnaceTown, it looks like you were able to get in touch with our Seller Support team by the time we got to your post here. I don't have any updates for you yet, but I can see that they're actively looking into this issue.

Please keep an eye on your email inbox for developments, and we'll circle back here with any other details as they become available.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 10

Hi Square community!

Our team has recently started using Square Marketing, and sent out emails for customer birthdays. 

We have had a number of customers write to us that the birthday link sent out by Square brings up a MALWARE WEBSITE WARNING  page on Safari and Google Chrome, when used especially on a desktop. 

Anyone experiencing this issue? 

Message 4 of 10

I used Square' Marketing service to create a capaign aksing my customer for their birthdays so I can send them birthday offers...  one of my customers just let me know that when she clicked on the link to give me her birthday, she recieved an "Reported Attack Page" warning.  Anyone else have this issue?  I'm a little **bleep**ed at this point.. first time using Square's system and now I look like a scammer!!!

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Thanks for reporting this @jfyh. I went ahead and moved your post here so you can see Sean's post with the details — rest assured we are actively working on this already.

I'm so sorry for the confusion and concern this has caused. If you have any questions let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 10

Just took the plunge and tried out the Marketing feature and sent out an email blast.  When clicking any links on the email, Google Chrome (or Google whatever) is flagging it as an "unsafe" page.  Epic fail!!

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.44.09 PM.png

Message 7 of 10
Square

Hi @charsue. Thanks for flagging this for us! I went ahead and merged your thread with another on the same topic. Please check it out for more details. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 8 of 10
Square

Hi @Olivesmom and @jonnychong. I went ahead and moved your comments over to another thread on the same topic. As for your concerns - I totally understand and I'm happy to shed light on this situtation for you (and everyone else). 

To get going, our engineering team is aware of this issue and they're on it. As for what actually happened, we made a change to the URLs that we use inside campaigns and this was an uninteded consequence. I can assure you that there are no safety concerns. Also, any campaign sent out going foward should be fine. We're also working with Google to remove the warning from previous campaigns that were sent. 

If you do hear from your customers, you can assure them that there's no need for concern and that we're on it! Please let me know if you have any other questions - I'd be happy to help out! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 9 of 10

YES!  We just reviewed some emails sent last month, clicked through and got the same warning.  I am very worried about Square Marketing now.

Message 10 of 10