x

Inventory Import issues: invalid character Row 17. Can you help?

I am trying to upload my inventory with an excel .csv file and no matter what I do it keeps telling me I have 1 error: invalid character in row 17. I have deleted Row 17 and row 18, tried downloading a new template and copy paste my data after deleting those rows, moved data out of these rows and no matter what i do i am still getting this error message. I have deleted  cache as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Square

@qtpykell - Sorry to hear about the trouble getting your items imported! This is supposed to be the easy part. In order to figure out what is going on, I'll need to take a look at your .CSV. Since you can't share files over the Seller Community, I sent you an email. Once I hear back from you - I'd be happy to follow up. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 27

I am getting this same message!

Message 3 of 27
Square

@allipetersen - Sorry to hear! Have you already tried starting with a fresh .CSV template and pasting over the details you already filled out? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 27

Yes, retried a couple times, even took out row 17, pasted everywhere but row 17 and deleted row 17. Nothing worked

Message 5 of 27
Square

@qtpykell - I got your spreadsheet, and took a look at row: 282, column: G and I noticed that you input a negative number. We don't currently allow for negative item values, this is why you're unable to import as is. If you removed this row, you should be able to get the rest of the items imported. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 27

@Sean - tried taking out row 282, still get same error message pointing to Row 17. 

Message 7 of 27

Any other advice?  tried taking out row 282, still get same error message pointing to Row 17.

Message 8 of 27
Square

@qtpykell - Apologies for the delay. I'll take a closer look and try to import your .CSV this morning, and then follow up with you. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 9 of 27
Square

@allipetersen - Apologies for the delay with your .CSV. I received it and imported it with out any issues. It seems like the issue must have been with your web browser. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 10 of 27

Oh wow! Thanks! I was using Safari, but maybe Chrome would have helped. I appreciate your help.

Message 11 of 27

Is there a fix that doesn't involve square support requesting csv file from user and importing in house with assurance problem shouldn't happen again?  I received the same error message 6 days ago, was told there was a problem with one of the values in my token column and that I shouldn't have any problems going forward.  I made minor changes to the csv file today and received the same import error message referencing row 17.

What's the recommended browser?  Is the problem so random that only a square rep can solve by requesting the csv file and trying this and that method on a case by case basis?  I'd prefer a clearly written comprehensive fix posted in this forum so that I won't have to rely upon square tech support.  It's not that I don't appreciate the help.  I do very much.  But I feel like square wants to push users to this community forum which appears to be moderated by a square employee (correct?).  If the fix can only be handled in house, we may as well all call square support.

BTW - I read the square support page re: importing items and am unclear how to modify my items using my csv file after the first import.  If I've added items from the square terminal, do I need to export the csv to my computer if I want to make additional changes using excel?  Or, can I make changes to the last version of my csv file (before items were added on the terminal) and import choosing the modify option.  It seems to me I should be able to do the latter given that I am "modifying" and not replacing.  Please confirm.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 27
Square

@TWG - There isn't any special sort of way that we import the .CSV. If you've sent it in before and it worked for the supporter, I do imagine that this is browser related. This definitely shouldn't be happening on a regular basis. As for a browser recommendation, we generally use the latest version of Google Chrome. What browser are you using? Have you tried switching? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 13 of 27

I was using Firefox.  I just dowloaded Chrome, tried to import/modify and got the same error message.

Could you answer my "BTW" question?  Still unclear after the first import how to import/modify using the original csv file.  I tend to make change in the App in the shop and on my computer (direclty to the csv file) when at home.

If you have any suggestions on jhow to troubleshoot the error message, please advise.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 14 of 27
Square

@TWG - Sorry I missed that part! You'll want to download a new .CSV each time you'd like to make changes to your item library. If you added items in the app, they'll automatically sync to your dashboard and be included in your newest .CSV.  If you just want to add new items to your library, just select "Modify Item Library." This option won't create duplicates if they already exist in your library. It will just add new items. Can you try again with a fresh .CSV export template? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 15 of 27

Same issue here with error in Row 17. Tried in Firefox and Safari and downloaded a new template, same error every time. Seems to be a common error, has a solution been determined or a bug fixed yet? suggestions? Thanks

Message 16 of 27

@Sean - I exported the csv file, made changes and imported back into square using Chrome and did NOT get the same (or any) error message.  There were a few gliches once I checked "items" through my dashboard - eg, the most recent import created duplicate items under variations AND increased my new quantities by the multiple of duplicates (i.e., I originally have 3 wigits, I import which creates 2 unwanted variations, now I have 9 wigits).  I deleted the unwanted variations but my "in stock" quantity stayed at 9 (6 more than I actually have).  I couldn't find a way to change quantities through the dashboard so had to export, revise and import again - unless I missed it, square should make it possible to change inventory through the dashboard.

New problem - during the last export/import, I manually created/typed in categories into the csv.  They show up on the square items page under the category column.  However, when I try to add the category to an item that hasn't been categorized yet, the category pull down menu doesn't include the ones I created in the csv - it only shows items created through the dashboard.  Also, they aren't regognized when I search.  In otherwords, square makes the csv added category visible but doesn't include it as a category that you can automatically add to an item through the pull-down menu AND doesn't recognize it when you do a search.  @Sean, I'm going to search for these new problems in the forum topics.  If there aren't any threads, could you start a new one and provide some guidance?  Thanks.

@Copeland - follow Sean's advice which appears previously in the thread and use Chrome.  Worked for me with the exception of the new problems noted above.

Message 17 of 27
Square

Hi @TWG. Glad to hear that this thread helped out, but sorry to hear about the consequences! Let's start with the easiest question. To edit the inventory of an item from the dashboard, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the Items tab of the Square Dashboard.

2. Select an item.

3. Scroll down to Inventory and click "Select a Location" and select a location. 

4. Click "Manage Item and Inventory Alerts" and adjust the inventory accordingly and then press "Save."

As for the category issue, I don't have the answer off the top of my head, but I'd like to get clarity. It doesn't sound like an intended behavior. What is the name of one of the categories that you created through the spreadsheet that you don't see online? 

In regards to your inventory issue, this shouldn't happen. We would need to take a closer look at the spreadsheet you used to do the import. It sounds like something could have been amiss with it. Did you happen to change the name or any other details of the items that you imported? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 18 of 27
Square

@qtpykell - Thanks for your patience during this process. Once I removed three items from your spreadsheet with negative values (Colored Pencils - Freebies - -0.01, Markers - Freebies -0.01, & Noisy Diggers -0.01) I had no issues importing your spreadsheet. Looks like we just missed a few. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 19 of 27

Yes, I have tried that several times, andit is still giving me the same message.

Message 20 of 27
Square

@allipetersen - I'd love to take a look at your .CSV. Please reply to my email with that file at your earliest convenience.  

Sean
he/him/his
Message 21 of 27