x

How can I accept partial payment or split tender with Invoices?

Hi, 

I sent an Invoice from the Point of Sale app to a customer for $72.00.  The customer paid half of her order through the Cash app... which was something new to me.  

I tried to make a note in the invoice, but I ended up marking it as paid.  If I issue a refund, will it refund her the full $72?  She has not paid her entire invoice, nor has she cancelled her order, so a refund is not necessary.  I need to void it somehow.  Is there a way to void a paid invoice?

Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news @TSSPottery — you can now accept deposits with Square invoices! Head to this Product Update post to get started: Request deposits with Square Invoices. 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 42 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Alumni

Hi there @VBBakery - welcome to the 👥 community and thanks for making your first post.

We don't currently offer a direct way to accept split tender payments through Square Invoices - it is all or nothing. There are still ways for you to accommodate customers looking to make payments or split tender on an Invoice.

First, I recommend refunding this Invoice (note: since you accepted payment through Cash App marking the Invoice as refunded won't cancel the existing payment).  

Then, to accept partial payment or split tender:

• Create a first Invoice for the first payment (in this case, $36 and mark is paid as "Other" tender that way you have record of the existing Cash App transaction).
  • Create a second Invoice for the remaining balance. Your customer can pay this by credit card online, or you can arrange payment by a different tender and mark it as paid. 

I know this method creates a little extra work, but it will definitely clear this up for you. Please let me know if you need anything else. 

Message 2 of 49

This feature desperately needs to be added. 

Message 3 of 49

agreed, i take down payments w balance due later.

the seperate invoice is a pain and doesnt handle the sales tax issue.

by this method i have to charge partial sale stax on a down payment.

not good

Message 4 of 49

I agree... This is a very important feature for our business as well. We often sell a computer that we have to order in and we take a down payment with the balance due at pick-up. Currently there is no way to create an invoice and post the down payment. It would be very useful to many, many businesses....

Message 5 of 49

Is there any timeline for a feature like this to be added to Square? This is a big deal for my uses.

Message 6 of 49
Alumni

Hey @Computiverse - Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately, there is no ETA on if or when this feature might be implemented at this time. However, we will make sure to pass on all the feedback within this thread to our Product team. In the meantime, you can check out what brings a feature request to life.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 7 of 49

Any updates on this?  I just switched to Square invoicing and if there's not a way to accept partial payments, I'll be switching back to my old system.  I think it's ridiculous that so many people need this feature and it hasn't been added!

Message 8 of 49

It looks like Square may want to start listening to their users...this question has been posed for at least 2 years now.

I'm a Caterer, and I frequently have to send invoices that require a deposit, then final payment.  I always have to go back to Paypal to do this.

Message 9 of 49
Alumni

Hey @feistyflavors - Just wanted to give you a heads up that this feature is actually in development and you can track the status of it in this thread.

In the same thread, the Invoices Product Manager, Rohini wrote the following:

"Hi everyone! Thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to write in and tell us what you need from Square Invoices. I’m a Product Manager for Invoices, and can promise you that I personally read every single one of these messages. They do not go unnoticed, and they do help us to better understand your needs so that we can build a product that works best for you.

I realize that you all have been waiting for us to deliver the ability for Square Invoices to support partial payments, and I’m appreciative of your patience. Our team has been working on this feature for you, but it’s a major overhaul of how Invoices is currently architected in our backend systems. We need to build a new solution that is scalable, secure, and accurately reports all of the transactions within an invoice. Our teams are working as fast as they can in order to get the core components ready, but it will still take some time. Please know that this high priority feature request has not fallen off our roadmap, and as soon as it’s available for beta, I’ll reach out to those of you on the thread for an early preview. Thank you!"

Hope that helps reassure you that we are indeed listening to the feedback of our Sellers. 🙂

Puka - She/They
Message 10 of 49

I'd like to be a part of this beta testing! I also am in dire need of a partial payments feature on my Square Invoices! 🙂 

Message 11 of 49

Square... we continue to wait on the backend fix so that we can run our services related businesses!  We NEED to be able to accept partial payments on invoices.  This should be a standard feature on such a robust platform.

Message 12 of 49

yes yes

Message 13 of 49

I am in need of this option also. I have been taking orders with partial payments and not processing the order until it is filled and final payment has been received. I have to write it all down on paper (and hope I don't loose it).

This will be a big plus !!!!

Message 14 of 49
Square Community Moderator

Hi @bklumb

I think you'll be happy to read the Best Answer in this thread.

The feature is now available!

Message 15 of 49

Receipting a part payment of an invoice:  Please implement this obviously missing component as soon as possible.  I regret adopting your system and finding it has this significant flaw that is still not fixed.

I will be warning other potential users of this flaw and discouraging them from adopting Square until it is fixed.

Thank you.

Message 16 of 49
Beta Member

I really feel that split tender needs to be added to invoices. I use invoices for wedding services, and I create an invoice for the bride with all services included for her bridesmaids. The bridesmaids pay for their own services sometimes, which requires split payments. I use invoices instead of transactions, because I want them to pay in advance, but sometimes they don't. 

I'm trying to make payments simple for my brides, but not having split payment options in invoices, does not do that. 

Message 17 of 49
Admin

Understood @PolishMePretty1, I definitely see how being able to let each bridesmaid pay this way would help simply invoices for you! I don't have a timeline for when split tender might be available with Square Invoices but we'll post here to let you know.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 49

When I do commission work I get 50% in advance, and the balance upon completion of the project. Square is not very convenient for doing this. It would be so much easier for you to program it so that payments can be made in various amounts and time frames.

Message 19 of 49

I’m also wondering if there’s any change in the status of this request?  This would be so helpful. I decided to try your invoicing system so I could keep everything in one place, and now I’m regretting it. My client made a partial payment in cash, so now I have to either edit the existing invoice, and then send another one with the new balance, or just not acknowledge the in person payment until the rest is paid. I did give a written receipt for the partial payment, but as for the invoice, neither of those options looks very professional from the customer’s point of view. I will have to stick with “that other site” for all of my commission work, as well as any large projects that will require multiple payments..

Message 20 of 49
Alumni

Hey TesEss! Thanks for chiming in here. Partial Payments is definitely a popular feature request which the Invoices team is tracking in this thread. In the thread, Rohini, the product manager for Invoices, provided an update about it which I've copied below:

"Hi everyone! Thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to write in and tell us what you need from Square Invoices. I’m a Product Manager for Invoices, and can promise you that I personally read every single one of these messages. They do not go unnoticed, and they do help us to better understand your needs so that we can build a product that works best for you.

I realize that you all have been waiting for us to deliver the ability for Square Invoices to support partial payments, and I’m appreciative of your patience. Our team has been working on this feature for you, but it’s a major overhaul of how Invoices is currently architected in our backend systems. We need to build a new solution that is scalable, secure, and accurately reports all of the transactions within an invoice. Our teams are working as fast as they can in order to get the core components ready, but it will still take some time. Please know that this high priority feature request has not fallen off our roadmap, and as soon as it’s available for beta, I’ll reach out to those of you on the thread for an early preview. Thank you!"

Puka - She/They
Message 21 of 49