x

Is it safe to delete duplicate cards?

In the Square dashboard I can see that some of my customers have multiple 'Cards on file', and in some cases, these cards appear to be identical - they share the same last four digits and the same expiration dates. Can I safely assume that these cards are duplicates and manually remove all but one? I use Square with WooCommerce and I want to be sure there are no unintended consequences of deleting what appear to be duplicate credit cards.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hey there @pacificdaze. Welcome to the Seller Community and congrats on your first post!

It certainly sounds like the same card is saved on file twice if the last 4 digits and expiration date are the same. At the end of the day, of course, it's your decision on whether to remove a card on file or not. There really isn't any "risk" in removing a card from a customer's profile.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 3

Can we just prevent duplicate credit cards from being entered?  I find a repeatedly have this issue with customers having duplicate cards entered.  I primarily use recurring invoices and customers somehow manage to save cards to file (same card) multiple times.  It would be nice to see a feature that would prompt and say, "This card is already saved to your account/profile.  I you would like to use a different card on this invoice, retry with a new card"

Message 3 of 3