x

Issue with Square Register and order tickets

We recently upgraded to the Square Register. Since upgrading, we are having issues with order tickets printing. Sometimes they print, sometimes they don't. After roughly 50% of our orders, the "reprint" screen will pop up, telling us that the order did not go through (sometimes to all 3 connected stations; and sometimes the ticket actually HAS printed!). I have tried deleting and reconnecting each printer, and this has not resolved the issue. This is also something that was never an issue before upgrading to Register. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, as this is highly annoying and sometimes causes confusion (tickets can get lost or not made or double made because of this).

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Hey @gralehaus, welcome to the seller community. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble—that shouldn't be happening. 😕

If you haven't already, I would suggest troubleshooting the hardware hub and wi-fi:

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please let our Support Team know. They'll be able to take a deeper dive.

Hope this helps get you closer to a resolution!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 16

Hi, Tom. Thanks for the reply. We are connected via Ethernet and have no issues there. I cant seem to find any obvious issues with the USB connection, either. I'll foreward this issue to support and see what they can come up with! Thanks again.

Message 3 of 16

Hi tom , We have the same problem . And i think the problem is with the software , Because we bought 2 system with 2 printer and the both have the same problem 

Message 4 of 16

I am having the same issue.  I have several ipads and they all print without issue. The register works for hours and a time and then just stops.  Rebooting works sometimes not others.  Sometimes it prints for 8 hours sometimes eight minutes.  All the while the other square stands are sending orders to the kitchen no problem.  The biggest issue is there is NO error message when this happens and we just discover inb the middle of a rush my kitchen is missing order tickets 😞 (like when a customer comes to pick it up)  .  Any updates on this?? Thanks in advance!  Kitchen printer is connected via eithernet.  Local USB receipt printer works fine. I changed the square register from wifi to ethernet thinking this might help.  It worked all day then conked out at dinner.  I have a ticket in but they didn't seem to have even heard of the issue before.

Message 5 of 16
Admin

Thanks for flagging this @electricfx, this doesn't sound normal. I see that you've also contacted our CS team and they're in the process of escalating this to our engineering team. Thanks for your patience while we investigate! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 16

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?  We've been using the new Square register for a few weeks without a problem, but just yesterday, tickets have started randomly not going through to our kitchen printer... 

Turning the register off and back on again will sometimes release the floodgates of backlogged tickets, but we don't seem to have a problem with the wifi or ethernet connections... 

Message 7 of 16
Admin

Really sorry to hear you had trouble with open tickets recently @Rosewater! Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps for kitchen printers? Those steps usually resolve any issues with the Register and your printer but if this happens again go ahead and call our CS team who can invetigate further! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 16

We have no resolution to this issue.  They are still stumped as am I. I have an IT background and literally have tried everything.  I even spent like 800 dollars in eero recommended wireless repeaters (recommended by one technician, even though I was sceptical).  I have tried every configuration.  The results are always the same.  The iPads print flawlessly, the square register does not plain and simple.  It's been weeks and weeks with lots of phone calls.  It's a bit disheartening.

Message 9 of 16
Admin

Sorry that this has been an ongoing issue for you, @electricfx. It looks like you've been working with our Customer Success team via email. I definitely recommend to continue working with them there and over the phone if needed. They'll be able to provide a lot more troubleshooting steps with you that way.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 10 of 16

We have the same problem with one of our Ethernet star printers. We have 20 something registers across a dozen stores and one store drops tickets. The printer is hard wired to the router. I have gone through all the troubleshooting. 

Message 11 of 16
Admin

@JonK

We have gone ahead and escalated a case to our Hardware team for you.  They'll be able to help with what's happening on your Register.  They should reach out shortly for more information.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 12 of 16
Beta Member

Did you ever find a fix for the random printer issue? I have had the same problem for years now. I am tired of it and need to find a solution, or new POS. 

Shanlee Bartlett
Message 13 of 16

Same. Anyone found a solution to this?

Message 14 of 16

Replacing the square register under warranty was the only thing that fixed it after troubleshooting everything else to the max.

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi @electricfx - thanks for reaching out and letting us know where you landed in terms of a resolution - glad we got this one solved for you. Thanks for bouncing back here to assist your peers.

Cheers!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 16