x

Issues with POS Items and modifiers

I have made several menu sandwich items, and I am attempting to make them a "meal" with chips and a drink. I originally did this by adding a "meal" modifier, but it wouldn't allow me to select what drink or what chips, just a generic "meal" and a price. 

I thought I fixed the issue by making a new item labeled "Meal" and adding the different choices (drinks & chips) as modifiers. This seemed to work, but the modifiers have somehow made their way into some of my original sandwich items dispite my making sure they were NOT assigned to those items. There also seems to be a "ghost" item labeled as "Meal" included in my modifiers? I can't remove it, because it shouldn't be there. 

So I have a few questions. 

1. Am I going about this all the wrong way, is there an easier way? 

2. Why have these modifiers been assigned to random items? 

3. What is this rogue modifer choice and how do I remove it? 

Thanks, 

Jon

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

The only reason your Modifiers would be on the item is if they are selected.  I would click on your modifier and verify the items they are associated with.

I use modifiers only for things like lettuce, tomato, or NO Lettuce, NO tomato, etc.  I use item and variations for the rest. 

Here is an example.

Item:  Sandwich

Variations: none

Modifier: No-Onion, No mayo, etc.  These are based on the sandwich.

Item:  Drink

Variations: Small $1.00, Medium $2.00, Large, $3.00 (Helps with cup inventory)

Modifier: Drink - Coke, Dr. Pepper, Diet Coke, Etc.

Item:  Chips

Variations: Plain $1.00, BBQ $1.00, Other, $1.00 (Helps with inventory)

Modifier: None.

For meal Deals, we select, Sandwich item, Chips, and Drink and all the modifiers for each one, then apply the meal discount.

Seams to work the best.  Makes sure the counter askes all the questions, and the Kitchen has all the information.  It also works for our reports.

Message 2 of 4

Thank you for the response!

That is a nice way of doing it, but it does seem like a lot of button presses for one meal. 

On the meal discount, do you do a dollar value or a percentage? I assume the dollar value would be better to avoid the odd numbers a percentage would give you. 

Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

We use $ discount.  It is a few buttons to press but has improved order accuracy and accountability, resulting in better customer service.

Message 4 of 4